Why become a member? ×

In ear monitors

kevvo66

Hey fella, well, I use a cheap-but-effective method: Behringer 1U headphone amp in rack, I take a feed from the desk into that and a feed from the amp (I can then combine these and mix myself higher or lower into the general mix), and after some unsuccessful wireless shenanigans I had OBBM make me a lead which combined the normal lead with a 3.5mm socket/jack, so I plug my in-ears into the socket at my end of the lead. You can obviously spend an awful lot more than the £100 or so I spent on this setup (secondhand headphone amp), but for me it works fine. I use ACS Pro custom moulds.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1449242503' post='2921914']
Hey fella, well, I use a cheap-but-effective method: Behringer 1U headphone amp in rack, I take a feed from the desk into that and a feed from the amp (I can then combine these and mix myself higher or lower into the general mix), and after some unsuccessful wireless shenanigans I had OBBM make me a lead which combined the normal lead with a 3.5mm socket/jack, so I plug my in-ears into the socket at my end of the lead. You can obviously spend an awful lot more than the £100 or so I spent on this setup (secondhand headphone amp), but for me it works fine. I use ACS Pro custom moulds.
[/quote]

I quite like the idea of running a combined cable for your guitar and and then plugging ear buds in. One question though, if you are only doing this just to hear some vocals would a pair of just cheap in ear headphones like you get with a mobile not suffice?

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1449243840' post='2921928']
I quite like the idea of running a combined cable for your guitar and and then plugging ear buds in. One question though, if you are only doing this just to hear some vocals would a pair of just cheap in ear headphones like you get with a mobile not suffice?
[/quote]

Depends what you mean by 'suffice', what sort of clarity and what the normal sound levels onstage are. You could always try them out by listening to an ipod through them during a rehearsal - it'd be confusing, but I suppose you'd get an idea of what isolation/clarity you could get...