Why become a member? ×

Thats the way bass line

tiffen

Hi I have been trying to learn the song thats the way i like it by KC and the sunshine band. the tab I found was not totally correct. Does anyone Know how to play this if so can you send the proper tab. As usual there is a dude on youtube doing the correct method but i cant make out what hes playing.
Cheers Jim

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiRPszpJD0I&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiRPszpJD0I...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='tiffen' post='280679' date='Sep 9 2008, 08:49 PM']Hi I have been trying to learn the song thats the way i like it by KC and the sunshine band. the tab I found was not totally correct. Does anyone Know how to play this if so can you send the proper tab. As usual there is a dude on youtube doing the correct method but i cant make out what hes playing.[/quote]
Hi Jim
Try this (I had to fill the gaps to keep the columns in line. Hope it isn't too confusing. The Bb C in the second bar of the verse is a slide up. Just play along with the record tillyou get the notes in the right place. Good Luck.

Verse_____Note____C__Bb__G__Bb__G__|__Bb__C__C__G__Bb__G__|

__________Fret_____3___1___3__1___3_____3___5___3__3__1____3

Chorus____Note____F__G__Ab__C__Ab__G__|__F__Eb__F____F__F__Eb__C__|

__________Fret_____3__5__6___5___6___5_____3__1___3____3__3___1___3

Thanks for that Chris will give it a bash many thanks.
I have been looking on line at times to buy real bass tab music and sometimes find it difficult to find some songs i have been looking for. Does any one know of a web site to buy bass tab music that has a comprehensive catalogue, preferablly one you can buy and download

Edited by tiffen

[quote name='jakesbass' post='281517' date='Sep 10 2008, 11:07 PM']....I hate to dispute but the second note is a B not a Bb....[/quote]
To my ear the Bb sounds less awkward than the B, but yes they play a B. I've made that change and I've put the chorus down to F an octave lower as per the Youtube clips. The Bb to C in the second bar of the verse is probably better described as a hammer on. Play the Bb and "hammer" your finger on the C.

Verse_____Note____C__B___G__Bb__G__|__Bb__C__C__G__Bb__G__|

__________Fret_____3___2___3__1___3_____3___5___3__3__1____3

Chorus____Note____F__G__Ab__C__Ab__G__|__F__Eb__F____F__F__Eb__C__|

__________Fret_____1__3__4___3___4___3_____1__1___3____3__3___1___3

Edited by chris_b

Dude keep at it,disco can be very difficult to learn.The blokes who played it were the best of the best bass players.Your technique is probably letting you down try and play lighter,mess with your amp to get a good tone,the notes should come just keep listening to the track constantly and it will eventually hit you with the right notes.

Thanks for all your input as per usual you have made life much easier.
I have to say on the verse before you play the Bb to the G I am sure I can here him play one ghost note to give it that disco feel. I have to agree that some disco stuff does take a lot of practice it took me ages to do the typical disco root/octave disco beet and the only thing was to play it over and over.
My next project will be the big bass solo on Sir Duke so if any one has the correct music or general info that will make life easier feel free to let me Know

Jim

Yep, there are loads of "ghost notes". I didn't put them in because it would complicate the chart, but when you have the basic line you can add the notes that you feel will drive the number along. On Youtube they also switch to playing an octave up, which doesn't sound good to me, and play run ups between the chorus and verse. Don't over play though, Disco should stay simple and is always the sum of the parts.