Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chunkiest 5 string neck?

miles'tone

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1447240624' post='2905967']

Now we're getting mixed up between width & depth. You're talking about the broad-neck Warwicks which came with a wider fret-board for wider string spacing, I don't think they made the necks any deeper to accommodate this.

I'm now not sure if the OP want a deep neck or a wide neck but I can definitely say Warwick necks of the 00's are deeper than Fender as I flick between the two all the time.
[/quote]

Yup. My old Streamer Stage 1 had a broad neck with the wide string spacing but was actually really shallow front to back. My Corvette on the other hand has quite a narrow neck with much closer string spacing but is really very deep front to back.
The thing with the Warwick necks though is that the finger board radius is extremely flat so although the OP is looking for a deeper neck, the radius (and the fact that the back of the neck is actually flat too rather than rounded) makes it a completely different feel altogether in those areas too. Not saying it wouldn't be the answer but absolutely try one out first as they really couldn't be more chalk and cheese compared to the Squier.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1447240624' post='2905967']

Now we're getting mixed up between width & depth. You're talking about the broad-neck Warwicks which came with a wider fret-board for wider string spacing, I don't think they made the necks any deeper to accommodate this.

I'm now not sure if the OP want a deep neck or a wide neck but I can definitely say Warwick necks of the 00's are deeper than Fender as I flick between the two all the time.
[/quote]

Hey OP here. Just to clarify, I'm looking for meaty girth front to back (fnarr)
Fingerboard width and string spacing is much less important to me.

Cheerz!

Another vote for Warwick. The neck profiles are inconsistent though - I played a few 5s at Bass Direct and subsequently bought a Buzzard 5, and all the necks were a little different to each other. The Buzzard actually turned out to be the closest to my taste as it had a U rather than a C profile which made it feel less bulky - you'd probably want the opposite. Definitely play before you buy.