Why become a member? ×

status series 3000 fretless valuation?

tarqh

i am thinking of selling this series 3000 status which i bought around 1988. it met with a nasty bump, so i sent it to rob green via the bass centre some years ago. at my request, he made it fretless for me. being an a**hole, i didnt realise that i should have put flats on and it has marked the neck! however, i had all the repairs done. for the last six years, it has been sitting there doing nothing so i was wondering what you guys might have thought it would fetch. i paid £800 20 years ago! it has a few knocks and scuffs and some heavy wear on the back (see pic) also there seems to be a dry joint on one of the pots. btw, it is serial no. 091
i look forward to your feedback, thanks in anticipation, mark

£300 i would say could be maxing it a bit, the condition is a bit rough

can you just confirm, did you say that you got the fretboard repaired after the damaged caused by the wrong strings??

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='280509' date='Sep 9 2008, 04:51 PM']If you offer it around for about £250, it'll get snapped up by one of the Status lovers & they'll probably get Rob to refret & refinish it. In fully restored condition it'd be a lovely bass.[/quote]

yup i would probably offer that much!

Hmm!

They were the `affordable' Status model when introduced in '88 and were I think £836 retail at that time - the `weave' was not visible on the back of the neck, being finished in a black gel coat. I'd personally say it is worth what someone would pay for it, which could be anywhere between £250-£375. I sold a lined fretless Series 4000 (the resin bodied replacement model for the 3000) bass some years ago for around £400...

hi guys, sorry i havent been around to check replies. thank you all for your comments. incidentally, the neck was damaged in a fall, then i had rob mend it and refinish it as a fretless. i then put roundwound strings on (doh!) which left marks on the fingerboard. it doesn't affect its playing, just aesthetics. it's a tricky one really, as i thought about putting an mm style status replacement nck on it but it but they seem to be pretty pricey. it was a really nice bass to play and sounded nice in that 80's kind of way :)
still, thanks a million for your comments, i have something to think over!

As a rough guide cum suggestion.........

I'm sure the string marks could be removed quite easily - maybe even a DIY job , though I'm not brave enough to suggest how.

I'd bet money that the pot works fine and dandyo with a squirt of servisol

The body - I had a new top made for mine and the whole thing refinished in clear gloss. Cost me £250. A waxed finish would have been much cheaper.

The series 3000 , as has been said , was a 'poorman's' Status - sure. But in my opinion that means more affordable if it does the job - which it most certainly does. It's probably my favourite bass and often gets the nod over my Shuker.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='282601' date='Sep 12 2008, 01:19 PM']As a rough guide cum suggestion.........

I'm sure the string marks could be removed quite easily - maybe even a DIY job , though I'm not brave enough to suggest how.

I'd bet money that the pot works fine and dandyo with a squirt of servisol

The body - I had a new top made for mine and the whole thing refinished in clear gloss. Cost me £250. A waxed finish would have been much cheaper.

The series 3000 , as has been said , was a 'poorman's' Status - sure. But in my opinion that means more affordable if it does the job - which it most certainly does. It's probably my favourite bass and often gets the nod over my Shuker.[/quote]
thanks mr dave, well, i have food for thought now. i don't think i will fiddle with the aesthetics of it but certainly will give the servisol a shot. i guess i've just been lazy and done nothing with it. perhaps it's time now. thanks again for getting back. mark. btw. love the profile pic :)

As Dr.Dave said, they were considered as a "poor man's Status", but don't let that put you off. I have a passive Shark knocking around that we've been refinishing & that was at the very bottom of the range, but that doesn't stop it being an excellent bass.

I'll make an offer of £250 if you still want to sell the 3000, any day of the week! :)

thanks for the offers guys, but having read what you have all said here, i think i might well 'have a go' at fixing it back up but with a fretted neck. i always loved the way it played and sounded. i guess i could end up with a cracking new bass for (relatively) not a lot of cash. many thanks for the ideas

[quote name='tarqh' post='285523' date='Sep 17 2008, 05:19 AM']thanks for the offers guys, but having read what you have all said here, i think i might well 'have a go' at fixing it back up but with a fretted neck. i always loved the way it played and sounded. i guess i could end up with a cracking new bass for (relatively) not a lot of cash. many thanks for the ideas[/quote]

That's what I did - and you have the advantage of owning the bass to start with.

Here's my 'before and after' for you. he 'after' has nice black chrome knobs too now.

wow, looks great! yeah, definitely going to do it up. i think i will look into alternative necks too, just need to look into the costing a bit more. and like you say, i have the advantage of owning it already. great finish on yours dave and thanks for taking the time to post the pics. cheers, mark

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='285592' date='Sep 17 2008, 09:42 AM']That's what I did - and you have the advantage of owning the bass to start with.

Here's my 'before and after' for you. he 'after' has nice black chrome knobs too now.

[/quote]

My current threads in the 'wanted' section here, and on the statii forum, are all your fault Dave. That's a corking looking bass mate.