Why become a member? ×

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass - SOLD

johnnylager

Righto chaps, I spent far too long in Bernie Goodfellow's basement yesterday and he offered me a bass I would really rather not pass up! For this to happen, I need to shift my 2004/2005 (dated from the serial #) CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass, bought new by me in late 2005. Original specs [url="http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0257702306"]here[/url].
[attachment=13159:DSC00441.JPG][attachment=13160:DSC00448.JPG][attachment=13161:DSC00454.JPG]

I have added [url="http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_pw_bass1_passive.html"]Rothstein JSP series / parallel switching[/url] to give the option of a more Precision-like tone. This also includes an SBE Orange Drop 0.047uF capacitor for better tone roll-off. This was followed by a set of [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass&sub=Jazz%20Bass"]Wizard 84's[/url] to give a higher output and a darker, bassier sound. The latest mod is a [url="http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=57"]Hipshot BT-2 D-tuner[/url], which is more than happy going down to C#. It currently has an aftermarket black [url="http://www.wdmusic.com/"]WD Music[/url] scratchplate, which fits perfectly.

I have taken very good care of this bass and it is in almost mint condition, bar some plectrum & fingernail rash on the black scratchplate - the OEM white one is almost mint. It was set up with a nice low action by Bernie at [url="http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/"]GB Guitars[/url] yesterday and plays like a dream, with just enough room to get stuck in without buzzing. It is currently strung with EB Hybrid Stainless Slinky's .045 - .105. I vowed I would never sell this after all the time and money I have put into it, then I visited Bernie's basement. Nuff said.

I will include the tags, Hipshot allen key, original pickups, tuning peg, white scratchplate and the Fender gig-bag that came with the bass. I could even put it back to standard (other than the control plate & series / parallel switching). I would prefer collection or meet at a reasonable distance (I'm in Brighton), but I can look into courier if this is better for you.

Ah yes, cost - The bass and bolt-ons probably cost me around £800, so say £475?

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='281076' date='Sep 10 2008, 01:18 PM']Would you be up for shipping it if i got a hardcase sent to you? This is subject to the outcome of a job interview i have this evening...[/quote]
Wee, well cushty mush, I would wouldn't I? Good luck n'all geez.

[i]Translation from Pompey - 'Yep, shouldn't be a problem mate and the best of British this evening..'[/i]

[quote name='johnnylager' post='281079' date='Sep 10 2008, 01:26 PM']Wee, well cushty mush, I would wouldn't I? Good luck n'all geez.

[i]Translation from Pompey - 'Yep, shouldn't be a problem mate and the best of British this evening..'[/i][/quote]

Cushty :) I better turn on the ‘saaaf’ coast charm tonight then, although they might hear my accent and tell me to do one…I should know in a couple of days (maybe tomorrow).

Not up for a fight or anything, but can I ask something to everyone? When does this bass cease to be a Geddy Lee and just become a modded Jazz bass?

I'm not familiar with Wizard pickups, or for that matter, the circuitry mods, but having played a new GL signature straight from the box when I was in the US in 2006 it sounded sweeeet as is...I would only have said the machines were a little grindy and suspect.

Surely pulling all the guts out of it and replacing it with something different is akin to giving it a heart transplant.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='281346' date='Sep 10 2008, 07:33 PM']Not up for a fight or anything, but can I ask something to everyone? When does this bass cease to be a Geddy Lee and just become a modded Jazz bass?

I'm not familiar with Wizard pickups, or for that matter, the circuitry mods, but having played a new GL signature straight from the box when I was in the US in 2006 it sounded sweeeet as is...I would only have said the machines were a little grindy and suspect.

Surely pulling all the guts out of it and replacing it with something different is akin to giving it a heart transplant.

P[/quote]
It still has Geddy's signature on the headstock and - as for giving it a heart transplant - upgrading stock Japanese p/ups and circuitry doesn't sound so extreme to me. Its not like johnnylager has put in active circuitry, redesigned the scratchplate and changed to a bubinga neck!

Its still a Geddy sig bass as far as I'm concerned - wouldn't mind betting Geddy's original has had some further mods beyond the specs originally copied by Fender for this signature bass.

PS, I would like to buy this bass - if someone buys my Rick 4003 MG/BT!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='281427' date='Sep 10 2008, 09:26 PM']Its still a Geddy sig bass as far as I'm concerned - wouldn't mind betting Geddy's original has had some further mods beyond the specs originally copied by Fender for this signature bass.[/quote]

Geddy Lee's tech (Russell Ryan) posts to T*lkb*ss and while he seems blissfully ignorant of what's going on out there in the real bass world, the only thing he has said GL wants to change in the signature model is the machines. There's an interview with Mr Lee on bassplayer.tv where he supports this, saying the stock machines are being changed 'on the next production run'.

That said, I believe he uses the Japanese models as live backup - preferring his original 75 model and the custom shop editions for live work.

P

[quote name='Macko1968' post='281598' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:14 AM']I thought the GL came with US dimarzio pick-ups in it, not Jap ones?[/quote]
Specifications list the bass as having "2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups", so Fenders not DiMarzios

[quote name='Clarky' post='281639' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:48 AM']Specifications list the bass as having "2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups", so Fenders not DiMarzios[/quote]
Indeed, stock Fenders, and sounded good but a little quiet - hence my reason for replacing them. Rumour has it that Ged uses DiMarzio DP149's I think, but I can't prove it.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='281346' date='Sep 10 2008, 07:33 PM']Not up for a fight or anything, but can I ask something to everyone? When does this bass cease to be a Geddy Lee and just become a modded Jazz bass?

I'm not familiar with Wizard pickups, or for that matter, the circuitry mods, but having played a new GL signature straight from the box when I was in the US in 2006 it sounded sweeeet as is...I would only have said the machines were a little grindy and suspect.[/quote]

As for the modding - over time, I found I needed additional tones and I couldn't afford a second bass so I changed stuff 'till I got what I wanted. Now I want, need and now have something completely different and the GL needs to go to fund it, as I still can't afford that elusive second bass. If I could afford to keep them both, I would.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='281346' date='Sep 10 2008, 07:33 PM']Surely pulling all the guts out of it and replacing it with something different is akin to giving it a heart transplant.[/quote]
Hence the reason I'm including most of the original CVS. Have you bought a house? Did you decorate, get a new kitchen or bathroom, build an extension? Why were you not happy with what you originally bought? Heart transplant my arse - it's a f***ing bass guitar. A nice one though and still for sale :)

John.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='281592' date='Sep 11 2008, 07:45 AM']Geddy Lee's tech (Russell Ryan) posts to T*lkb*ss and while he seems blissfully ignorant of what's going on out there in the real bass world, the only thing he has said GL wants to change in the signature model is the machines. There's an interview with Mr Lee on bassplayer.tv where he supports this, saying the stock machines are being changed 'on the next production run'.

That said, I believe he uses the Japanese models as live backup - preferring his original 75 model and the custom shop editions for live work.

P[/quote]

Geddy has also said that he wants the neck changed to a satin finish on the back on the new sig models, to reflect the replacement neck now on his bass (changed prior to the S&A tour).

One of the key defining items in the GL sig is the neck, which is extremely thin, so I guess this is definitely still a Geddy. I really like the black scratchplate look too. I've been toying with doing the same thing to mine.

Edited by jonsmith

Have you bought a house? Did you decorate, get a new kitchen or bathroom, build an extension? Why were you not happy with what you originally bought? Heart transplant my arse - it's a f***ing bass guitar. A nice one though and still for sale

Brilliant!
It's a 600 quid bass with good upgrades for a crackin' price, it's not a '63 Jazz F.F.S.
Give the Pompey dude your money and walk away with a gem.

I dread to think what kind of flak I'm going to get if I sell the things I'm thinking of. :huh: :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='282097' date='Sep 11 2008, 07:33 PM']Have you bought a house? Did you decorate, get a new kitchen or bathroom, build an extension? Why were you not happy with what you originally bought? Heart transplant my arse - it's a f***ing bass guitar. A nice one though and still for sale

Brilliant!
It's a 600 quid bass with good upgrades for a crackin' price, it's not a '63 Jazz F.F.S.
Give the Pompey dude your money and walk away with a gem.

I dread to think what kind of flak I'm going to get if I sell the things I'm thinking of. :huh: :)[/quote]
I like the cut of your jib young man. :huh:

[quote name='johnnylager' post='281079' date='Sep 10 2008, 01:26 PM']Wee, well cushty mush, I would wouldn't I? Good luck n'all geez.

[i]Translation from Pompey - 'Yep, shouldn't be a problem mate and the best of British this evening..'[/i][/quote]

Something has come up that I can’t turn down which has ruled me out of the running for this bass :), but I’ll bet my left bollock that this is gone by this time next week…and the mighty Pompey make ‘brough look like a pub team tomorrow :huh: