Why become a member? ×

Attaching Ashtrays without screws

synthaside

Hi all

I've finally decided to stick some ashtrays on my Bitsa jazz ... I mocked this up with some double sided tape to make sure i was comfortable playing with them and they work great for me as i favor ... thumb resting on the bridge PU .

But i don't want to drill into my bass i'd ideally like a removable solution Ii used some 3m double sided tape and it held the bridge one nicely on and did just the trick but would not adhere to my vinyl / matt scratchplate .

does anyone know of a better solution ?

lyle / synth

As MoonBaseAlpha suggests, some kind of tough self adhesive tape/velcro option would undoubtedly work but you'll have a bit of extra height to contend with and the potential problem of removal of adhesive later should you decide to get rid of the covers. The velcro option leaves the patches visible when the covers aren't there which to my mind would be uglier than screw holes. I'd be inclined to use screws and countersink the holes in the body so if you take the covers off you can put the screws back in and they'll sit mostly flush with the surface.

This stuff is great

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Double-Automotive-Number-Plates/dp/B009IQCET2

I bought a little bubble pack of 5/6 strips which I cut down to size from a camping store.

Very tough and leaves no residue, and it doesn't make the ashtray bounce around like foam tape.

Is the reticence to drill holes due to cosmetic concerns, or because of the screw holes possibly wearing after several string changes? If the latter, I used small threaded inserts that I installed in the same position as the screw holes would be, and then used small machine screws to secure the bridge cover. Over the last fifteen years they have been quick, easy, and no wear.

Edited by iiipopes