Why become a member? ×

take a risk or leave well alone?

[quote name='Rusty Shackleford' post='279723' date='Sep 8 2008, 02:23 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-1970s-COLUMBUS-SG-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ370084282012QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20080907?IMSfp=TL080907128002r26363"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-1970s-COLUMB...907128002r26363[/url][/quote]

Leave well alone, too risky! :)

Looks tidy enough to me. Don't expect to nail it for £25, though!

Bear in mind the bridges on these are awful - have a look at the string height in the 3rd pic, I'd be prepared to bet that's down to the crap bridge & probably non - height-adjustable mudbucker. If you lower the bridges on these by much, the strings tend to foul the front edge of the plate, so getting a playable action is a balancing act between bridge height & shimming the neck pocket. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find a slack truss rod & a neck like a banana, too - not an issue if the rod's in good working order.

It's probably possible to make it play OK, I'd expect to find a decent fret job on this, & going on the general condition (for a 35 year-old plank) I wouldn't expect much fret wear. The "unplayable straight out of the box" setup will have discouraged its various owners over the past 3 decades, which will have helped keep it in good nick. :)

In case you hadn't guessed already, I've owned one such as this. Some folks might be interested to know it was probably (along with other Columbii) made by Maya/Rokkomann.

Jon.

I picked one up off eBay for about £100 and it wasn't in as good nick as the one you are looking at. It plays OK though, I was just curious to try a short scale bass, all the epi ones seemed to be going for slightly high prices. This is what I got:

As ever Jon (Bassassin) was a fountain of common sense and useful info.