Why become a member? ×

Vertical split neck construction - new one to me...

4 Strings

NBD! A G&L L1500 imported from the US.

All sorts of nice comments relevant (amazing neck - hugely powerful sound etc).

But, the unexpected thing was the neck construction.

Maple fingerboard, no skunk stripe, natural assumption would therefore be..... yes, you got it, separate fingerboard, as if it was rosewood. No!

Looking closer there is no separate fingerboard. How did they get in the truss rod and its anchor?

Looking really close, really close, you can see that the neck has been split vertically, just off centre. Presumably the rod and anchor inserted sideways and the two halves stuck back together.

Even when necks are made as a sandwich of different woods I understood the truss rod to be inserted under the fingerboard.

For the record I can get the action impossibly low for a bass with no buzzing.

New one on me...'Mazing!

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1445682028' post='2893337']
Some older Peavey basses feature the same bi-cut construction as well.
[/quote]

Pretty sure my T-40's neck was made like this - definitely 2 sections but unsure whether it had a glued-on fingerboard though. Hopefully Flat Eric or another T-40 guru will be along shortly to enlghten...

I did have an MIJ P copy (unbranded but possibly Fujigen build) with a 2-part neck - but it definitely had a separate fingerboard.

Jon.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1445679899' post='2893299']
Some info for you [url="http://www.glguitars.com/features/neck.asp"]http://www.glguitars...atures/neck.asp[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, Gary, that's the kiddie, very interesting. Just had a look at the old ('87) Wunkay and, sho'nuff, same, never noticed, you have to look really hard!

Seems to work well, not that the other methods don't, but G&L seem to have a thing about avoiding twisting necks, the reason for their crown shaped fingerboards too.

Edited by 4 Strings