Why become a member? ×

New Phil Jones Bass Monitor.

ambient

Looks like rather a neat idea :).

[url="http://www.facebook.com/PhilJonesPureSound/videos/vb.1839281189/10203599356304693/?type=2&theater&notif_t=notify_me"]http://www.facebook.com/PhilJonesPureSound/videos/vb.1839281189/10203599356304693/?type=2&theater&notif_t=notify_me[/url]

Edited by ambient

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1445858193' post='2894708']
looks to me like someone trying to re invent the wheel...... can't hear your cab maybe move it closer to your ears?
[/quote]

Who would want a 100 watt bass amp that close to their ears ?

I think it's designed more for users of other PJB gear. I use a Double 4 combo, that's pretty amazing, and not just for its size. I used it yesterday lunchtime for a jazz gig at a pub in Worcestershire. The drummer who I hadn't played with before, looked more than slightly bemused when I took it out of it's little gig bag. After the first set though he openly admitted that he loved it, and the sound that it produced.

It does depend a lot though, on where it's placed, it's quite directional. It likes to be on the floor, angled upwards slightly, and towards the audience. I rest it on its power supply, that gives it the perfect upwards angle. I also likes to be in a corner, it has slots in the back designed to radiate the sound.

So I can see the new PJB monitor being useful if the player is not directly in front of the combo.

maybe i just haven't drunk the cool-aid .......

but i don't buy a bass amp that sounds good when I put it in a particular position at a particular angle, oh and it must be in a corner otherwise it won't work

I'd quite like my amp to sound good wherever i decide to put it down...... and it does.

but i think you'll find i said put it closer to your ears not right next to them however if i have my amp right next to my head and its too loud thats okay because it has a volume knob on it too ;)

I guess my point is I don't really know what you gain by having this funny little box on a mic stand next to your head as opposed to other methods of hearing yourself

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1445885524' post='2895078']
maybe i just haven't drunk the cool-aid .......

but i don't buy a bass amp that sounds good when I put it in a particular position at a particular angle, oh and it must be in a corner otherwise it won't work

I'd quite like my amp to sound good wherever i decide to put it down...... and it does.

but i think you'll find i said put it closer to your ears not right next to them however if i have my amp right next to my head and its too loud thats okay because it has a volume knob on it too ;)

I guess my point is I don't really know what you gain by having this funny little box on a mic stand next to your head as opposed to other methods of hearing yourself
[/quote]

It works best in a corner, no mention in my post of it only working there 😊.

Great that you can have any amp. I don't drive and play a lot around London. My combo is the size of a shoe box and easily holds its own in a band with a drummer. Yet it's easily transportable on trains, tubes and buses.

I just think you've maybe missed the point of the monitor.

Looks to me like it could be extremely useful for DB players also, I often have to walk a fine line between being able to hear myself on stage and creating howling feedback. The classic monitor configuration pushing sound directly into the instrument doesn't help a whole lot. OK, there are various methods to defeat this, but not all are entirely satisfactory, and it looks like this could be quite a nice halfway house between conventional monitoring and IEM? The great thing about PJB is the quality of the sound, so if this is effective as a monitor and as pleasing on the ear as al other PJB gear, I'll probably be in the queue when they land.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1445890959' post='2895147']
Looks to me like it could be extremely useful for DB players also, I often have to walk a fine line between being able to hear myself on stage and creating howling feedback. The classic monitor configuration pushing sound directly into the instrument doesn't help a whole lot. OK, there are various methods to defeat this, but not all are entirely satisfactory, and it looks like this could be quite a nice halfway house between conventional monitoring and IEM? The great thing about PJB is the quality of the sound, so if this is effective as a monitor and as pleasing on the ear as al other PJB gear, I'll probably be in the queue when they land.
[/quote]

That's something that occurred to me earlier, maybe also pit work where you're not using headphones ?

There's a guy I played with a couple of years ago, he had a small monitor angled towards him about chest height for his guitar.