Why become a member? ×

What is 'Highway 1'?

Jono Bolton

Ive just started a new job with a monthly bonus and so, as an extra, extra incentive, I've decided that my bonus each month is going to the new bass fund, along with whatever falls through my letterbox at Christmas.
I was looking at getting a new Jazz, and I've been tempted by the new American Standards and the Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn, but while I've heard of the Highway 1 series, I've never really been completely sure what the score with them is. Taking a look at the Fender website, they're pitched between the Mexican Std and the Deluxe series, which I believe is made in Mexico.
Am I right in thinking that they're American made parts, assembled in Mexico? I've had a look at one in Sound Control, and I've noticed the thinner matt finish than the American Standards, and I've heard the Grease Bucket tone circuit is really good too.

Assembled in USA, USA parts (although different to the US standard, better bridges but lesser tuners) and the finish is applied in mexico.

Very, very nice sounding basses. Although I'm not a fan of the greasebucket tone control, as I don't see the point in rolling off treble without adding a bit of bass, it sounds no different and you dont get the awesome fingerstyle sound you should get.

Edited by Duarte

I 'test drove' a shed load of basses before buying my mark one Highway 1 jazz, it had been upgraded with a badass bridge which I was going to do anyway, it's f*^ki%g brilliant, I feel guilty for owning such a great bass considering I'm not currently in a band and I just use to muck about on. I've played a few good basses since buying it & haven't yet found one as easy to play or with such versatile tone yet.
Try and test drive it against a few others before you buy - different basses suit different people - there is no right or wrong.
Happy hunting!
cheers

Most of the above is correct but a few details need clarifying.

The H1 is MIA completely. Its not a lesser finish or finnished in Mexico, it is a single coat finish of cellulose, not the industry standard of 2 pack acrylic.

This is done so that the finish wears quickly and gives the instruments the 'road used' look (or Highway as they say over the pond). It is a deliberate attempt to let the customer (us) make thier instruments into individual 'reliced' pieces much quicker.

This does not make it in ANYWAY inferior to a std US model. In some ways I prefer them as they dont have a 1mm layer of finish between wood and hardware....

The ethos behind the H1 is its a 'rugged tool' for use on the road and if my P is anything to go by they are spot on.......

Think of the H1 as a std US but not finished as pretty, with the intention of being used as much as possible and you have it on the head!

I checked the online prices, soundslive.co.uk has them for £489, or I could have a dinged one for £450. There's not a huge choice colour wise, but i'd go for black or sunburst anyway, so it's no big deal. I'm not a huge fan of that 'baby sick' colour, think it's called transparent Honey Blonde, and I can't find a picture of the Daphne Blue one anywhere

My H1 Jazz is still my #1, workhorse bass, big tone with the Villex pups, and every bit as good as any standard US Jazz. The difference I've found with mine is how dark it sounds. Jazzes are generally quite bright and honky, but mine wasn't, even with it original pups it was quite moody sounding, silly I know, but it just seemed different to a regular jazz tonally. So, I banged in some Villex pickups hoping to give it more top end. The bass itself was having none of that, and still sounded quite dark, even with the massive range available from the pups. The pups are just magic though, massive bottom end great clear top end, but the bass still has a character of its own, and I like it that way. Between the Jazz and the brighter sounding Lakland DJ4 I've got all the sounds I need live.

H1, great bass, build quality, mojo, I wouldn't be without it:

Just to make it clear, the HW1 is the old line and didnt have the BAII or grease bucket. The HW-One is the latest (2006) range.

I have a HW1 Jazz and love it (although i never use it). It was the best Jazz in the Bass Centre when i went looking for my first (and only) Jazz. Felt better than the USA ones but maybe thats just me. I did put a BAII on it and i think while its still great sounding it lost something tone wise but the bridge started falling apart so i had to do something.
I got a HW-One P end of last year and loved the black finish. I didnt really like the grease bucket tone control though. I like my P to get mellower and thumpy when the tone is rolled off and i didnt find the HW-one did that.

Very good bass's though and much cheaper than the USA ones.

This is (was) my Black one.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='The Burpster' post='280131' date='Sep 9 2008, 08:02 AM']And this is it now..... :)[/quote]

Ah, thought so.
Very nice.
I had thought about a black scratch plate. This was my first tort and while i thought it looked good black looks better.

This is my HW1 Jazz at the moment. I took the black scratch plate off when i had this neck on that HW-one P and not bothered to put it back on yet. I think it looks quite good without it other than the screw holes.

Edited by dave_bass5