Why become a member? ×

Swansea,Pembroke,Haverford west

ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='278785' date='Sep 6 2008, 08:04 PM']On Hols,wandering about round about down there.....Anything worth popping about to see?[/quote]

Swansea has Cranes in the town centre ( between the bus station and Vue cinema) - big shop and an OK range of Fenders, their own Hudson stuff and a few others, and Rowlands on St Helens Road which has a reasonable range but nothing out of the ordinary. There's also Speed Music a few miles out of town in Llansamlet but haven't been there for a while so not sure what they might have at the mo.

Not sure about Pembroke/Haverfordwest but, knowing what they're like for other kinds of shops, I wouldn't get your hopes up :)

Cheers
Alun

Thanks....If you see a Tall long haired bloke wandering about in Lace up Leather Jeans or a Black Kilt and matching Sporran,say hello...

Whats Merthyr like??? Summat in me wants to see the statue of the Matchstick man...but is their nowt else??

Edited by ARGH

I spent a lot of time in South Wales during the early '90's. I dont think there is a pylon or piece of switchgear I didn't have some role in painting. For my sins I lodged in Bargoed, Swansea, Tenby and Barry and a dozen others. When it came to Brains bitter I refused. When the locals moaned at us English lads for doing all the work, we promptly offered them a start the next day. None ever turned up. I suppose it's :) hard when you meet blokes from the Black Country though! :huh:

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='278903' date='Sep 6 2008, 11:23 PM']I spent a lot of time in South Wales during the early '90's. I dont think there is a pylon or piece of switchgear I didn't have some role in painting. For my sins I lodged in Bargoed, Swansea, Tenby and Barry and a dozen others. When it came to Brains bitter I refused. When the locals moaned at us English lads for doing all the work, we promptly offered them a start the next day. None ever turned up. I suppose it's :) hard when you meet blokes from the Black Country though! :huh:[/quote]

What the hell were you doing in sh*tty Bargoed????

[quote name='Jase' post='278905' date='Sep 7 2008, 12:26 AM']What the hell were you doing in sh*tty Bargoed????[/quote]

I remember working at a place I can only remember a messy cucumber. Nelson also rings a bell. For a fact there was an enormous sub station at a place begining with clynnn ..... ??? I am also a veteran of Aberthaw and Cowbridge sub stations. I was young and it was good money at the time. Favourite moment would probably have been going through the lights at Monmouth at 90 mph and seeing the sign that says welcome to England. Saying that Rush recorded some of their greatest moments in the studios at Rockfield not a million miles away.

[quote name='ARGH' post='278785' date='Sep 6 2008, 08:04 PM']On Hols,wandering about round about down there.....Anything worth popping about to see?[/quote]
If you've got kids (or an interest in castles) Pembroke Castle is a great day out. The beaches in Pembrokeshire are some of the best in the world IMO, and I've been to some of the supposed 'best'... Ipanema, Carribbean, Copa Cabana, Phuket, Devils Island, Red Sea, Persian Gulf etc etc, they are not a patch on Pembs beaches
Some lovely shops in Narberth, if you like tapas be sure to visit Ultra Comida at the top of the high st fantastic cheeses meats and olives yum. Enjoy.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='278916' date='Sep 7 2008, 01:34 AM']If you've got kids (or an interest in castles) Pembroke Castle is a great day out. The beaches in Pembrokeshire are some of the best in the world IMO, and I've been to some of the supposed 'best'... Ipanema, Carribbean, Copa Cabana, Phuket, Devils Island, Red Sea, Persian Gulf etc etc, they are not a patch on Pembs beaches
Some lovely shops in Narberth, if you like tapas be sure to visit Ultra Comida at the top of the high st fantastic cheeses meats and olives yum. Enjoy.[/quote]

Jake, I'm sure you are aware of some border castles. I had a fabulous day at Stokesay last week, although purists may call it a fortified manor house. me and my kids are also big castle fans.

Whilst you are wandering about .. there used to be an Addams Family pinball machine in Newgale ...
Wotnwhy lives there ...
"Pub called The Duke, and it's on Newgale beach, on the way to St.Davids from Haverfordswest, bout 7/8 miles out.

Great beach .. hire a wetsuit and board from the shop next to the pub
[url="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&q=newgale&ll=51.856517,-5.126184&spn=0.000745,0.002403&t=h&z=19"]http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&...mp;t=h&z=19[/url]

[quote name='Tech' post='279081' date='Sep 7 2008, 01:03 PM']haha, nothing to see in swansea :huh:

might as well catch a train trip up to cardiff![/quote]

and then what? :)

Nowt much of interest in the shops round here unless Gamlins have one of the very rare "interesting" oldish Fenders in ...

[quote name='Alun' post='279076' date='Sep 7 2008, 11:54 AM']Oi. my girlfriend live in Bargoed - it is a dive though, you are quite correct :)[/quote]

My wife is a Bargoed girl, her family are still there too, lovely people, I lived in Henry St for a while....and I still play in The Hanbury :huh:

[quote name='Jase' post='279289' date='Sep 7 2008, 07:49 PM']Hey ARGH! get yourself down The Office in Swansea for some Rock/Metal bands, not sure who's there shortly, I'm there in a month though! Hang on.... it might be Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Either way it's a good gig generally.[/quote]

The Uplands Tavern also do music most nights from jazz to metal.

[quote name='Jase' post='279285' date='Sep 7 2008, 07:47 PM']My wife is a Bargoed girl, her family are still there too, lovely people, I lived in Henry St for a while....and I still play in The Hanbury :)[/quote]

Let me know when you're next in the Hanbury, I'll try and just happen to be visiting her that night :huh: Although as I haven't drunk for a year or so, she might see through my "let's go the pub" suggestion :huh:

Editted for useless typing!

Edited by Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='279336' date='Sep 7 2008, 08:08 PM']Let me know when you're next in the Hanbury, I'll try and just happen to be visiting her that night :) Although as I haven't drunk for a year or so, she might see through my "let's go the pub" suggestion :huh:

Editted for useless typing![/quote]

Will do Alun :huh:

ARGH, I think there's a gig called The Singleton too.

[quote name='Alun' post='279355' date='Sep 7 2008, 08:41 PM']Not sure what's happening with the Singleton these days - they keep starting and stopping music. Jazzland in the Uplands is great on Wednesdays for jazziness :)[/quote]

When are you down these parts ARGH?

Took my dog to Ponty Park today, the Jazz was rained off then?

Creative Electronics in Haverfordwest. I spent many a day in there bashing guitars and Sarah who runs it is awesome, really chilled out. Its not very big but sometimes she has some fun stuff in there, and I always loved playing acoustic basses in there (she always seemed to have one at least).

Nothing in Cardiff or swanse worth seeing to be honest.