Why become a member? ×

Just the one pup.

Jase

Ello,

Does anybody here just use the bridge pup on there Jazz at all times, or has any body just not bothered to wire up the neck pup?

I just don't use the neck pup at all EVER, at gigs I just turn it right down these days....I used to have just a slight suggestion of it but nothing worth talking about.

So what I'd like to find out is....can I just leave it unconnected, take it out, take the pot out and put a rubber bung in it?????

Ta Jase, :)

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='278764' date='Sep 6 2008, 06:07 PM']I was thinking of making a custom Jazz a while back... never got around to it though.

It'd have just one bridge p/up, a scratchplate without the pickup cutout and a control plate with just the two knobs, and the ashtray fitted over the bridge.[/quote]

That's the ticket, exactly what I want to do!!

A slight kind of suggestion;

Why not keep the neck p'up, but modify it so it doesn't sense the strings, and just acts as a hum-cancelling dummy?

*thinks*

Would removing the magnet(s) from it have that effect?

If your bridge p'up is hum-cancelling in and of itself, just ignore me, naturally.

[quote name='Cernael' post='278855' date='Sep 6 2008, 10:09 PM']A slight kind of suggestion;

Why not keep the neck p'up, but modify it so it doesn't sense the strings, and just acts as a hum-cancelling dummy?[/quote]

/scratches beard/

reckon you could certainly rig something up

[quote name='Cernael' post='278855' date='Sep 6 2008, 09:09 PM']A slight kind of suggestion;

Why not keep the neck p'up, but modify it so it doesn't sense the strings, and just acts as a hum-cancelling dummy?

*thinks*

Would removing the magnet(s) from it have that effect?

If your bridge p'up is hum-cancelling in and of itself, just ignore me, naturally.[/quote]

Naturally.

I seem to remember reading an article about Trevor Bolder - who played bass with Bowie and was one of the 'Spiders'. He played an old P with a J pickup added - but only played the J pickup - the P pickup didn't work. I play a lot with just the bridge pickup - but i still like to use the neck for a more deep and rounded tone - but it's obviously your call - if that's the only tone you need - go for it!

Edited by King Tut

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='278936' date='Sep 7 2008, 01:27 AM']i do exactly this-

i have just a bridge pickup, straight to the jack.

actually, i have a killswitch in between it.

as shown here:

[/quote]

DAMN...you beat me too it :) That's what I was going to do!!! :huh: