Why become a member? ×

WARWICK Ovangkol neck

B.Flat

Hi.
I have a German made Corvette double buck. 2008.For some reason the neck wood is protruding very slightly from the fingerboard on the bass side and also the centre piece of the neck, around the 12 fret.
I have the skills to rub this down but I am unsure what will happen to the neck finish, which I assume is oiled.
Has anyone out there rubbed a WARWICK down ?
Also I would like to slim the neck a bit but again am unsure how much wood is below the truss rod.Any advice ?

[quote name='B.Flat' timestamp='1443441389' post='2874643']
Thanks[u] warwickhunt [/u], [b]??[/b] (where you the bassist with The Two Hats?) , I'll get some wax. Somebody told me there was a luthier trick with a magnet to determine the proximity of a trussrod to the back of the neck, but I have forgotten what it was!
[/quote]
My guess is if you hold a strong magnet to the back of the neck and you feel a magnetic pull of the magnet to metal, then you're near being through to the TR.
The trouble is, if the TR is carbon fibre or graphite or any other hi-techy new wonder material, you can't trust this. Maybe Warwickhunt will have good info on what Warwick were using in 2008?

For myself, I would stick to some light sanding and keep the profile the same.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1451853083' post='2944098']
What makes those neck feel huge is the shape, not the front-to-back thickness. Work on sides and you'll be happy. Besides, there's not much material left before you dig into the truss rod routing so don't remove material from the center, if you decide to do it.
[/quote]
^^^^ pretty much what Matte_black says.

Taking material off the haunches makes a significant difference to the feel of a neck. Nowadays, particularly on my own 6-string guitars, I often use a cabinet scraper to move away from a C profile towards a soft V profile. Makes the neck feel a lot slimmer, but you still have the depth for barre chords and, of course, to stop the truss rod poking out of the bottom.

I wouldn't take anything off directly under the truss rod if it was mine. Also, ref your original issue of the neck protruding beyond the fretboard - has it always been like that, or is something moving??