Why become a member? ×

Decisions Decisions.... adding another cab...

fretmeister

At the moment I have a LM2 and the 102HF 2x10.

It sounds ace.

I want to get the amp running at full output... and I just like a big amp! So I am in 2 minds whether to get another 102HF to have a virtual 4x10... or a 151HF for that classic mix.

I have no idea which way to go... and I can't find a shop that has all in stock to try it out.

What say you?

[quote name='fretmeister' post='277764' date='Sep 5 2008, 07:56 AM']At the moment I have a LM2 and the 102HF 2x10.

It sounds ace.

I want to get the amp running at full output... and I just like a big amp! So I am in 2 minds whether to get another 102HF to have a virtual 4x10... or a 151HF for that classic mix.

I have no idea which way to go... and I can't find a shop that has all in stock to try it out.

What say you?[/quote]
The result of mixing different cabs is always unpredictable. If you like the tone you have add another 2x10, be sure to stack them on end so the four tens are on a vertical line.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='277869' date='Sep 5 2008, 02:37 PM']The result of mixing different cabs is always unpredictable. If you like the tone you have add another 2x10, be sure to stack them on end so the four tens are on a vertical line.[/quote]

I agree with that - it has happened before, which is why I won't blindly buy from the web! I had the mini ashdowns. Alone they were both quite nice - but when the mini15 and the mini48 were together I hated them.

I had never thought about stacking them 4 in a line though - other than getting them up to ear level, are there any other benefits?

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='277869' date='Sep 5 2008, 02:37 PM']The result of mixing different cabs is always unpredictable. If you like the tone you have add another 2x10, be sure to stack them on end so the four tens are on a vertical line.[/quote]
Beat me to it. Dont know how the OP has managed to miss all the flame wars on mixing cabs :)

[quote name='fretmeister' post='277885' date='Sep 5 2008, 02:49 PM']I had never thought about stacking them 4 in a line though - other than getting them up to ear level, are there any other benefits?[/quote]

No. It's bollocks. Keep your drivers as close together as possible.

[quote name='fretmeister' post='277885' date='Sep 5 2008, 09:49 AM']I had never thought about stacking them 4 in a line though - other than getting them up to ear level, are there any other benefits?[/quote]
The dispersion angle on the horizontal plane is wider, so everyone can better hear what you're playing, while the dispersion on the vertical plane is lessened, placing more output in the audience rather than aimed toward the floor and ceiling.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='278211' date='Sep 5 2008, 09:09 PM']The dispersion angle on the horizontal plane is wider, so everyone can better hear what you're playing, while the dispersion on the vertical plane is lessened, placing more output in the audience rather than aimed toward the floor and ceiling.[/quote]

Works particularly well with an 8 x 10. :)

Edited by stevie

[quote name='johnnylager' post='278400' date='Sep 6 2008, 07:24 AM']Looks like the 8x10 war is on the horizon though. Goody. :)[/quote]
:huh: :huh: :huh:
It wont be the first one. Whether you agree with his design philosophy or not, Bill is an expert on cabs so somebody telling him he is talking bollocks amuses me. Bill does not rate the old 8x10 either.

At times when I used to gig much I was forced to carry my cabs without helping bandmates with me because I played in so many different bands. That was the reason why I used 2x 2x10" cabs. Everything bigger than that is a nightmare to transport.
On bigger stages where you´d expect that you need a 1x15" for extended lowend there are so many PA subs that you will have enough lowend on stage through the PA. Only exception from that are very modern line array PAs with cardioid subs. They will throw the bass only into the crowd, not on stage. Here you need something bigger than 10" speakers.

[quote name='jensenmann' post='278595' date='Sep 6 2008, 09:11 AM']Only exception from that are very modern line array PAs with cardioid subs. They will throw the bass only into the crowd, not on stage. Here you need something bigger than 10" speakers.[/quote]
Those venues will have a full complement of monitors, both wedges and sidefills, as well as in-ears in many cases, so Uber cabs aren't required. This side of the pond tens remain the #1 driver size seen on tour w/major acts. The problem venues are those large enough to require PA support but not sensible enough to provide it. But even then four tens vertically aligned are enough to do the job, which is providing adequate output for the stage and the first 50 feet or so of room. If there's no PA to cover beyond that it's the promotors problem, not yours.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='278641' date='Sep 6 2008, 02:19 PM']Those venues will have a full complement of monitors, both wedges and sidefills, as well as in-ears in many cases, so Uber cabs aren't required. This side of the pond tens remain the #1 driver size seen on tour w/major acts. The problem venues are those large enough to require PA support but not sensible enough to provide it. But even then four tens vertically aligned are enough to do the job, which is providing adequate output for the stage and the first 50 feet or so of room. If there's no PA to cover beyond that it's the promotors problem, not yours.[/quote]

You´re right but what I like is to hear my rig, no matter how big the stage is. I don´t want to hear the DIed signal through monitors. I hate to hear my bass with a compressor inserted - but that´s what those PA guys are always doing (though it´s important for FoH sound). Anyway it´s a matter of taste.