Why become a member? ×

NAD - Behringer BVT4500H

discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1444083829' post='2880222']
Soundclips aren't that great for making amp choices imo. You really have to be in the room with one, though I do understand that's not always possible. Ask Thunderbird, I think he's had one for the longest time. I'd make a clip, but I don't have a BVT currently. Though I may get another just for the hell of it. :)
[/quote]
[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1444143969' post='2880640']
With the gain right up there is not a huge amount of growl but I like my sound clean anyway. The EQ is nice and gets you a variety of sounds so at such a cheap price I am happy.
[/quote]
Thanks for the advice.
I like a lot of growl and a lot of gain, but no distortion, so may stay away.

Or put my Zoom B1ut, or whatever it's called (impulse buy on here, that i don't really use anymore) and see what i can do with it.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1444392006' post='2882835']
When my wife asks "why the kids are starving?", i'm gonna say "ask that bloody Discreet!"
[/quote]

Woops! Oh dear. Well... look on the bright side. If you become homeless at least you'll have somewhere to sleep. :)

I come at this from a slightly different perspective.
After happily blatting away on the free Peavey Combo 300 they gave me in the early eighties till I returned from the USA to the UK in 1995, I sold everything up and went over to just guitar when I got really bad trigger finger.
Four years later I started playing a little bass again and all was well!
Got a gig and needed an amp.
Bought a used Behringer BF3000 whatever head - 300 watts into 4 ohms.
Built a 2x10 Celestion Neo cabinet and happily gigged it for a couple of years.
Pretty decent sound for almost no money.
Joined a very loud Sixties band and decided to buy a used BX4500 - 450 watts into 4 ohms. Traded the BX3000 in and the net cost to me overall was £100 in BOTH amps.

About three months ago, I started having issues with overheating - turns out the cooling fan in the amp had seized up.
I bought a spare fan for £4 on ebay, but when I opened the amp up, all I had to do was clear out the dust of ages and lubricate the bearings!
Not bad for a second hand Behringer that until this year was doing four to six gigs a month every month.

My only worry now is that the MarkBass Little Mark III I just bought wont sound as GOOD! :D
I will find out Saturday night.
But all in all, my experience of Behringer bass gear (and Peavey for that matter - my old 1983 Combo 300 is now gigging regularly in a punk band!) is that with care, luck and proper treatment they can be incredibly reliable and surprisingly good-sounding.

Edited by ivansc

Mine arrived yesterday. Just had a go.

I definitely agree that it lacks a bit of growl but it does have a bit of beef. Certainly gonna be loud enough. I had it through my GK MBE 212 first gain on 7, master on 2. It was plenty loud. Tried it with gain on 3 master on 4-5 loud again. i will be using it with the GK and an Ashdown 1x15 ther will be no Volume problem.

I then put an Hartke bass attack thru the effects loop and got a variety of good tones. Also i was using my Fender jazz 62 reissue fretless. The strings are dead, years old, so that won't have helped.

To be honest i didn't really mess with the eq. Just put all the knobs at 12 o clock and used the hartke. That's how i will be using it. For 80 quid it's a bloody bargain.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1445102146' post='2888831']
I definitely agree that it lacks a bit of growl but it does have a bit of beef. Certainly gonna be loud enough.... put a Hartke bass attack thru the effects loop and got a variety of good tones... I didn't really mess with the eq. Just put all the knobs at 12 o clock and used the hartke. That's how I will be using it.
[/quote]

It's all good.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1445102146' post='2888831']
For 80 quid it's a bloody bargain.
[/quote]

I think that's the bottom line with this amp really. :)

Edited by discreet