Why become a member? ×

Small combo choices for woodwind bands

fretmeister

Trying to get as little to carry as possible...

Any thoughts on a PJB Cub or Double Four combo for playing with a half-dozen other instruments, mainly woodwind?

I see the Double Four is an astonishingly light 8.8lb but can it really do the job? Or is the Cub a better bet, even if it's a whopping(!!!) 13.2lb?

I bought the double4 becuase I needed something smaller and lighter than the 8inch cab & crate power block I was using. It doesn't go as loud as my previous set up, but it does go as loud as I need and the sound quality is astonishing.
I use it to play sampled bass guitar accompanying my contrabassoon to audiences up to 50 without a PA (with a PA in bigger spaces etc)

The double 4 will work in your woodwind ensemble, but you'll probably be running at Max. I haven't tried a cub I'm afraid.

If you bought a double4 no one in your group will believe the real bass sound coming from such a tiny box :)

Where are you based?

I used to gig my Bergantino AE112 and my regular 500 watt amp with an acoustic guitarist. Great tone at very low volume. I prefer the sound of bigger speakers so the smallest I'd go would be a Barefaced One 10 and a small 300 watt amp.

You need light, as loud as you want and good quality tone and headroom that won't break the bank.

I've got a Warwick Blue Cab 20 which might fit the bill, if you can find one.

Its got a ported 10" cabinet, built-in tilt-back stand, 3 band EQ, passive/active inputs, FX loop, 20W of very nice sound, line out, headphone out, and weighs about 15kg.

I bought mine as a practice amp but I reckon it would be ace for use in a small ensemble of woodwinds.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1442673010' post='2868689']
My back is properly f***ed and with the music trust group I'm with, there are a lot of room changes where I have to pack and move every 40 mins.
[/quote]

That's a BF One 10 (15lbs), a GK MB200 (2.2lbs) and a good trolley. Everything can stay set up on the trolley.

The heaviest thing will be the speaker cable.

Edited by chris_b