Why become a member? ×

The return of the King - Lemmy resumes US Tour

The Admiral

It's back on in St Louis tonight, and I genuinely hope this is for all the right reasons and not because there are financial implications making it necessary.

Lemmy had a chest infection apparently, which severely impacted his breathing, but they've managed to clear it up, and the Docs have given him the green light to carry on.

[url="http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-09-08/motorhead-lemmy-return-to-stage-health"]http://classicrock.t...to-stage-health[/url]

Edited by The Admiral

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1441696144' post='2860864']
I genuinely hope this is for all the right reasons and not because their are financial implications making it necessary.

[/quote]

+about a million.
Fingers crossed.

I really hope he's back on track.

I've read some Motorhead forum stuff, in which quite a few are seeing the end of the touring band in sight.

I'm 50/50 on this - I've been a fan since '87, I hope Lem will be back, but even I was left speechless when he started to sing 'Ace Of Spades' when they played 'Overkill' at Glasto! Thought they sounded good besides that. Was it a tech glitch - or was did he really think it sounded okay?

I just get concerned when bands start to regularly cancel, and the excuses start to come out - sickness, lung infection.....makes you wonder if there's more to it.

I sincerely hope not - I'd rather see them continue in the studio knocking out brilliant albums like the new one (their best for a good few years - and I've loved the recent ones) than continue to tour and slowly decline. Lem sounds great on the new songs.

....and I've just ordered my 'new album' t-shirt! :D

Let's hope that normal service is resumed. :)

It's been mentioned elsewhere that it could be some form of COPD.
With his previous lifestyle it would figure out and was the cause of Dan McCafferty's leaving Nazareth. Dan was still hitting the same notes and had the same power up until the last tour I saw him out, though he was doing a lot of onstage spitting.
I just hope Lemmy's able to perform well enough as to not damage his image, which as Spongebob just said, took a knock at Glasto.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1441706886' post='2860983']
I really hope he's back on track.

I've read some Motorhead forum stuff, in which quite a few are seeing the end of the touring band in sight.

I'm 50/50 on this - I've been a fan since '87, I hope Lem will be back, but even I was left speechless when he started to sing 'Ace Of Spades' when they played 'Overkill' at Glasto! Thought they sounded good besides that. Was it a tech glitch - or was did he really think it sounded okay?

I just get concerned when bands start to regularly cancel, and the excuses start to come out - sickness, lung infection.....makes you wonder if there's more to it.

I sincerely hope not - I'd rather see them continue in the studio knocking out brilliant albums like the new one (their best for a good few years - and I've loved the recent ones) than continue to tour and slowly decline. Lem sounds great on the new songs.

....and I've just ordered my 'new album' t-shirt! :D

Let's hope that normal service is resumed. :)
[/quote]

I'm with you on this - I'd be very comfortable with Motörhead now moving to a 'studio only' basis, if it means they can keep on putting out material, but what we think is of no consequence. It may be apocryphal, but he's alleged to have said "if you don't play live, you are not a band", and if that's his view, I can't see him being prepared to become a studio musician.

With regard to his health - all those years of fags and speed, not to mention the booze will ll have done him no favours, and if he has a pulmonary disorder, there is no way back from that, it's just a case, as I understand it from what I've read, of trying to manage it. I would imagine that trying to just push through it, when you are struggling for air, would put a significant strain on the heart, and for a man in his condition and at his age, that can't be great. I just hope his doctors are telling him what he he needs to hear, not what those - should there indeed be any - with a financial interest in the band continuing to tour, come hell or high water, want to hear.

Great to see, and I hope it continues. They could have a long run of playing live if they are prepared to move to what we might call 'Gentlman's Touring' , which Metallica have been doing for some years now. They go out for two weeks, and then home for a week, which is sustainable if you are as big a money machine as they are, but still do-able on a more limited scale for Motorhead. I'm thinking 2 gigs, followed by a day off, then maybe two more, followed by a day of travel and a day off. They can't have massive crew on retainers, and even though this is more expensive than blasting through 20 dates in a month, it's the difference between sustainability of touring, and promoters not taking a punt on the band at all. There's no way they can insure Lemmy, so they will be in the hole with promoters if he has any more health issues, and managing his physical resources sensibly, probably against his wishes I would add, has to be an option. Time to listen to his body and let the iron will be advised perhaps!

Edited by The Admiral