Why become a member? ×

Mic for Female Rock Vocals?

redbandit599

The SM series are a blast from the past and although still good mics there are many better mics available. In fact there is an Utban Myth that some BBC sound techs prefer Behringer Mics to Shure, I must ask my friend Uli who told him that story.

I love AKG Headphones but never found their mics that good for live work. A femial singer got rid of hers about 10 years ago as she was never happy with it. I must confess it was not a D5.

To be serious the best vocal mic I have heard recently is the Sontronics ST-C80. it is almost as good as the firm's condenser mics. It is available for under £80 from Absolute Music.

For value actually the Behringer XM8500 with a foam windshield/screen takes some beating.

I'm a massive fan of the aforementioned D5 and currently have four in my mic case. Use them regularly on male and female vocals and they sound great with very little EQ fiddling needed. Can be found cheaply second hand if you keep your eye out. I'll probably pick up a couple more. Pretty certain I'll be moving on my Shure and Beyer vocal mics. They also work well on instruments, I've had them on guitar amps with good results and they're not too shabby on drums either.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1442840273' post='2869878']
The SM series are a blast from the past and although still good mics there are many better mics available. In fact there is an Utban Myth that some BBC sound techs prefer Behringer Mics to Shure, I must ask my friend Uli who told him that story.

For value actually the Behringer XM8500 with a foam windshield/screen takes some beating.
[/quote]

I had the chance to A/B the Behringer with an SM58 a few years back. Not a lot in it for sound, if anything the XM was slightly brighter sounding but with a bit more handling noise, it's also a supercardioid so I'd expect better feedback rejection. It broke not long after despite looking like a well made thing, turned out someone had trimmed the internal wires too short and the solder had come away, a two minute fix but the only failure I've ever had with Behringer stuff to be fair.