Why become a member? ×

Sitting on Genz Benz gear

roceci

Given the high regard for Genz Benz gear across the board & it's discontinuation as a brand (nice one Fender), is GB gear likely to appreciate in value as the years go by?

I picked up a ShuttleMax 12.2 recently as a one-in-one-out replacement for my GBE 750. I'm finding it difficult to let the 750 go though. The 12.2 has definitely made life easier on load ins/outs & whilst to my ears it doesn't quite have the slam of the 750 (subjective I know, but you hear what you hear), I can live with the slight difference.

However the chance that I may switch back to Class A at some point is stopping me from shifting the 750, along with a notion that well-maintained 'modern classic' gear will be sought after in years to come after production has long since ceased.

Any comparable examples of SS/hybrid amps going up in value? Or will this just not happen with new innovations popping up all the time?

I thought this was going to be one of those questions like I get about Barefaced cabs: "it's so light, is it safe to sit on it?" ;) (The answer is YES!)

Stuff only tends to appreciate in value when you can't get hold of anything like it new and the secondhand supply is limited - e.g. classic cars. But good musical gear tends to hold its value pretty well after the initial 'no longer brand new' depreciation. Any brand with a good reputation for reliability will hold its value better and any brand/item which is known for being unreliable will depreciate more badly.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1441633638' post='2860418']
I doubt it will apreciate in value, class-D / Neo gear is developing every day and i'm sure that the "good stuff" is yet to come. I think it will hold it's value (if you purchaded it second hand) with minimal loss of your initial investment.
[/quote]

Agreed. Collecting bass gear is a slow and risky way of making your fortune...

Edited by Conan