Why become a member? ×

Headless Steinbergeresque

Dom in Dorset

• 2 weeks later...

I put some old strings on to see if I've got everything aligned only to discover that the action is high enough to park a double decker buss under it and still have room for Evel Knievel to jump over it. The bridge is ultra chunky so I'm going to cut out a section of the wooden top under it thus lowering it by 7mm.
On the plus side it stands up by it'self!

I think if I did it again I wouldn't cut the headstock off too close to the nut to allow a bit more room to maneuver. I made it slightly more complex because I wanted a narrower string spacing at the nut. To do this I ground and filed bits off the string retainer and left the original nut in place.
You can still access the truss rod through a hole in the retainer.
The hardware seems good, I'll play if for a while and post a report later.
I've now recessed the bridge , the action is much better , I also intend to tweak the neck angle.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1448193226' post='2913520']
Gigged with it last night, it felt great not to have 8lb of wood and metal strapped to me! This may well become the go to bass, I have to sing and play flute , I have to pick up and put down the flute quickly during songs, It's so much easier with this bass.
More thoughts on the hardware to follow....
[/quote]
Sounds like a result! It's a good feeling when a project fully meets its design aims :). Well done.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing this for a few months now and it's become my main bass, the sound and feel are just right. The balance on the strap is so good it just stays where you put it. Because of the reduced body it's easy for me to reach around to grab my flute (I have to do this mid song at times) nothing gets in the way. The sustain goes on forever.
My thoughts on the headless bridge etc :
The string spacing was wider than I wanted so I had to grind bits off the nut and use the bass' original plastic nut to set the spacing, the string retainer seems to work well. The bridge is good, I had a Hohner headless years ago and it's not quite as good as that but ok. When new the bridge saddles needs a bit of sanding down to stop them jamming against each other (I had to drill out the holes in the string retainer too) When tuning some of the knobs are a bit stiff, I have strong fingers but it can be tricky. I need to investigate oiling or greasing the appropriate parts. I'd give them 7/10 as they came out of the box , 8/10 now.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1451592521' post='2941785']
Because of the reduced body it's easy for me to reach around to grab my flute (I have to do this mid song at times) nothing gets in the way.
[/quote]

Sorry, I nearly sprayed my whole kitchen with beer at that one...