Why become a member? ×

Headless Steinbergeresque

Dom in Dorset

Apologies for absence, I'm back now.
You may remember my compact lightweight festival bass? (a cheap , disposable and easy to transport bass for festival gigs)
It ended up (after several re-workings) looking like this:

Time passes, I gigged with it a lot over the last year or two but I can certainly do better. I've bought a headless kit and I'm working on it's higher quality and less disposable replacement.

I'm experimenting with body shapes , I'll make a plywood mock up before actually getting wood (fnar fnar)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1443941599' post='2878756']
Looks a nice piece of wood :)
[/quote]
Thanks!It's cherry You won't see that but though! It will have another piece (just as nice) on top to cover the chamber that I routed out today:

The bottom end is lop sided, this is because once it has a strap button the two sides will be equal and it will stand up straight if leaned against an amp.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

More contouring and control chamber routing. The wood will turn red/brown when oiled.

Trial fitting of the top

Eric- The twin was my main bass for a couple of years , in the end I decided that I was better off with one higher quality bass (I'm playing a Jazz these days) the parts were used to make a fretless that I still use from time to time and the fretted neck will end up on this.
I've stacked all the parts + strings on the scales and the bass should weigh less than 4 1/2 lb.

Finalizing the layout:

The slightly odd neck pickup position came about because of the earlier attempt at a compact bass. I accidentally bought a 24 fret neck with a very long heel. This prevented fitting the neck pickup in the usual place, I moved it down a little and it's closer to a P pickup position. It seemed to give more bass than a conventional jazz and I've stuck with it for this bass (I'm re-using the pickups too) .It also helps fit in with the lower cutaway. The knobs are off a defunct effects pedal and are only 16mm in diameter.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1444520327' post='2883858']
Looking good, this is what I did with a knackered Hohner Stick Bass a few years ago.

[attachment=202444:S5000495.JPG]
[/quote]

I've still got it. Haven't played it in a while.