Why become a member? ×

New bitsa: MM pickup - series or parallel? implications beyond the usual?

goonieman

Hi All,

I'm revamping a fleabass (the cheapie ones - not a modulus!), and am routing for a MM pickup (seymour duncan SMB-4D ceramic). I'll be using a stingray 2EQ preamp.

My question is, should I go for series or parallel wiring? If I go series, it will be hotter and more middly, but I can dial that out at the amp if desired, right?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

For me, series or parallel is kind of irrelevant because one can adjust onboard or at the amp... am I right?

thanks

I probably will at some point when I figure out the wiring... but then again, i'm sure its worth it.

I had a switch on my warwick $$ for that, and all I got was 'louder and more middly'.

What i'm after is a solid rationale on which to choose if I had to. i.e. are there noise implications? impedance issues that will impact on FX use, etc.

thanks

Parallel wiring gives a slightly more open sound and is a good starting point for tweaking with EQ to taste. You can easily EQ a bit more mid grunt into parallel if desired. Standard Stingray wiring is parallel if you're looking for a rationale. It all depends what sort of sound you're looking for. If you want serious grunt as your starting point go for series but it will be fiddlier to dial out the grunt and get back the more open and extended range of parallel.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1439999534' post='2847451']
Parallel wiring gives a slightly more open sound and is a good starting point for tweaking with EQ to taste. You can easily EQ a bit more mid grunt into parallel if desired. Standard Stingray wiring is parallel if you're looking for a rationale. It all depends what sort of sound you're looking for. If you want serious grunt as your starting point go for series but it will be fiddlier to dial out the grunt and get back the more open and extended range of parallel.
[/quote]

This. This. I like this. I'm going with this.

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1439970234' post='2847081']
Hi All,

I'm revamping a fleabass (the cheapie ones - not a modulus!), and am routing for a MM pickup (seymour duncan SMB-4D ceramic). I'll be using a stingray 2EQ preamp.

My question is, should I go for series or parallel wiring? If I go series, it will be hotter and more middly, but I can dial that out at the amp if desired, right?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

For me, series or parallel is kind of irrelevant because one can adjust onboard or at the amp... am I right?

thanks
[/quote]

The ceramic is more mids rich, so maybe this is irrelevant, but I'll carry on undeterred anyway :-p

I think the alnico Stingray pickup, in series, is a wonderful combination for the 2EQ preamp. In parallel is slightly scooped, and the 2EQ can control the midrange but it's a bit fiddly if you're not very familiar with those preamps and how the two controls interact. The alnico one in series adds just enough oomph in the mid region and it suits the 2EQ very well, in my experience: my USA SUB was wired in series (I'm led to believe that the initial run of SUBs in 2003/early 2004 were wired this way, then they reverted to the more usual parallel configuration) and with it the original 2EQ preamp is just fine. I always lean towards the John East preamp otherwise (2EQ, but with a separate mids control with sweepable centre frequency).

So... I dunno :lol:
I'd go series. I like the extra fat :)

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1439974150' post='2847123']
What i'm after is a solid rationale on which to choose if I had to. i.e. are there noise implications? impedance issues that will impact on FX use, etc.
[/quote]

Nope