Why become a member? ×

Dingwall

Stealth

There are a few things that are 'better quality' on the Canadian models, but the NG2 is a really nice instrument.

I imagine that because the instruments are QC checked in Canada, that carrys a lot of weight with folk who don't like 'cheap chinese tat'. Chinese or not, they certainly don't feel cheap to me. All the posts from buyers on the Dingwall forum mention how impressed they are with the NG2 build quality - and I am too.

What you get with the Canadian models is a higher spec than the Combustion / NG2, so like all questions like this I think the only answer is spend some time playing both and see what you think.

From my own view - I love my ABZ and the NG2. I want another Dingwall - but if I did place an order it would be for a Canadian build model - purely for the customisation options that you can't get on the Combustions - but it would certainly use the Darkglass preamp from the NG2

From memory the cheapest 5 string ABZ is about £1850 in Bass Direct - 2 years ago I paid more than that for my ABZ4.

The Combustions start from about £1040 (again from memory), with the NG-2 being another £200+ on top.

I've still got the ABZ4 and bought a NG2 last month.

How about that for a non-answer! :lol:

I've never played a Combustion, but look at it this way - Sheldon Dingwall refused to release the first shipment of Combustion NG-2s because the quality wasn't up to his standard. This was probably THE most anticipated basses of the last few years and they didn't go out until he was happy. The Canadian safety net would take any doubt out of it for me.

I've owned a Canadian Dingwall and wouldn't hesitate to own anything Sheldon puts his name on - been GASing for a black NG-2 myself the past while. I've never played a B string as good as the one on my Dingwall and the Combustions I've heard online seem to be up there.

Edited by Bigwan

I've had both ABZ5 & a Combustion. Sold Combustion when I needed money but still have (albeit modded) ABZ5 ... I'd say overall quality/hardware etc of ABZ is better & also thought Combustion neck a tad chunkier ... Which would I buy if I now ?

Probably a 2nd hand Combustion coz I'd end up modding it anyway (changed pups to Nordstrand Big Singles)

I also like the look of the black NG-2 ... glad it doesn't come in Matt :)