Why become a member? ×

Getting a Jazz Bass to sound like a Musicman

joshua.harris1234

If it's just one song in a set, in a pub, with sub-optimal listening conditions then I suspect 50% of the way there will be good enough. We do one song that has a fretless bass intro and fretted for the rest, so I acquired a Zoom pedal that does a passable impression of a fretless bass for those few bars. So maybe you can find a solution with the bridge pickup and a multi effects pedal?

Has all been said above, but the key factors are the pickup type, sweet spot position and the EQ.
The voicing on the EQ plays a major role in the Stingray Tone - I have a 1988 Stingray 2 EQ and it is the only bass I have where I do not boost the bass EQ up to approx 60 to 70% !

Mr EAD is right for the quick and dirty option - I have a Zoom B9 that has a "Flea MM" pre set sound.
This does a very good impression of a Stingray with most basses, certainly good enough to approximate the tone in a live mix.

Now I'm back in the gigging game my one bass solution for different core sounds is a Warwick $$.