Why become a member? ×

Which Distortion/OD pedal should I go for?

Exile252

The whole distortion thing is always really divisive. I guess that's why there are more distortion/fuzz pedals out there than every other kind of effect put together. There are probably more tubescreamer clones alone!

I guess, though, that we should leave the divisiveness to the guitarists (seriously, go and read THEIR threads on things like this at harmony-central and the like) and try to get along.

indeed, point is, i love the odb-3 and mxr blowtorch, if people dont agree with me, then simply say that you dont in your opinion, n thats just dandy :) start saying that i like bad tone, and il flame you like a bitch :huh:

[quote name='BassManKev' post='274423' date='Sep 1 2008, 12:52 PM']indeed, point is, i love the odb-3 and mxr blowtorch, if people dont agree with me, then simply say that you dont in your opinion, n thats just dandy :) start saying that i like bad tone, and il flame you like a bitch :huh:[/quote]

Isn't "IMO" a bit redundant to be typing every time, it's always IMO, as no-one is god here, I think it's kind of implied.
It makes sense you like the Blowtorch if you like the ODB-3. It's just the kind of tone you like... bad tone... [b]IMO![/b] :huh: :huh:

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='BassManKev' post='274754' date='Sep 1 2008, 05:21 PM']point is, you need to try them both, and make your own conclusions[/quote]

Amen.

[quote]You need to come and see my new band, then ;-)[/quote]
Are you gigging yet? I remember your ads on here and at DiS and it sounded like something I'd be interested in (as a punter). It'd be good to see the band some time. Myspace?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='274393' date='Sep 1 2008, 12:26 PM']your knowledge of tone outstands me, all hail your opinion :huh: i'm sure that the chances are, some of the gear you like i will think is 'bad tone', whether or not it is is totally subjective.

and fyi, the eq knob on pedals means you can adjust how much high or low end you get, thus turning down the high eq control on an odb-3 or a blowtorch will reduce 'high end fizzle', you'll go to bed a wiser man now :) but tbf if you dont know how to use a pedal as simple as an odb-3, its quite worrying[/quote]
/face
/palm

[quote name='Musky' post='274770' date='Sep 1 2008, 05:36 PM']Amen.

Are you gigging yet? I remember your ads on here and at DiS and it sounded like something I'd be interested in (as a punter). It'd be good to see the band some time. Myspace?[/quote]

www.myspace.com/songsfromtheshows

The design isn't done yet, and the mp3s are just recorded with an Edirol thing at rehearsal, but you'll get the general idea. First gig tomorrow.

How often do you get to see 2 BCers in one band?

I recently got a Fulltone Bass Drive and it's by far the most natural and best sounding drive I've heard for bass. I own an ODB-3 too and whilst it's quite good for deliberately over the top fuzz I find it a bit thin and and fizzy if trying to be more subtle. Same with the blowtorch when I tried it but it was certainly more mid-rangey than top heavy. I've never tried the Bass Juice but I did try the TC Vintage Bass Distortion and it's supposed to be the same pedal and it was quite nice except I found the "boost" setting very unflexible.

The Fulltone has effectively two channels because there is a seperate control for how much extra gain the boost switch gives you. So I set up the first channel to give a little growl when I dig in and the second to really gain things up but it always stays full and meaty.

The problem with using the EQ to tame the hi end of the "fizzy" pedals is that it also kills all the natural highs of the dry bass tone and things get very indistinct very quickly. If you find yourself using EQ or Tone controls at the extremes of their ranges all the time then you're using the wrong pedal for the sound you want in my opinion.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='275221' date='Sep 2 2008, 10:07 AM']www.myspace.com/songsfromtheshows

The design isn't done yet, and the mp3s are just recorded with an Edirol thing at rehearsal, but you'll get the general idea. First gig tomorrow.

How often do you get to see 2 BCers in one band?[/quote]

Very nice. I think I'll try to get up to Camden tomorrow - any idea of what time you're on?

[quote name='Musky' post='275250' date='Sep 2 2008, 10:45 AM']Very nice. I think I'll try to get up to Camden tomorrow - any idea of what time you're on?[/quote]

10.20pm At Tommy Flynns, which is halfway between Camden Town and Mornington Crescent tubes.

The crazy promoters want us to headline our first gig! I did a few gigs for them with my old band, and I think they're hoping for more of the same.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='275258' date='Sep 2 2008, 10:51 AM']10.20pm At Tommy Flynns, which is halfway between Camden Town and Mornington Crescent tubes.

The crazy promoters want us to headline our first gig! I did a few gigs for them with my old band, and I think they're hoping for more of the same.[/quote]

Jolly good! :)

Have you got a flyer for the gig?

[quote name='Musky' post='275272' date='Sep 2 2008, 11:04 AM']Jolly good! :)

Have you got a flyer for the gig?[/quote]

Oh yes.

[url="http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/5822/sept3rdtommyal5.jpg"]http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/5822/sept3rdtommyal5.jpg[/url]

A whole quid off.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='275282' date='Sep 2 2008, 11:10 AM']Oh yes.

[url="http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/5822/sept3rdtommyal5.jpg"]http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/5822/sept3rdtommyal5.jpg[/url]

A whole quid off.[/quote]

Whoopee!

At least it'll go towards your head count.