Why become a member? ×

Modern Fender precision neck widths

bassix

I've been offered a 2010 US Precision in p/x for one of my basses, does anybody know if there is any difference between the 2015 neck dimensions which I've loved when tried and the 2010? Main reason for asking is I will not have an opportunity to try before I buy the 2010 bass.

Well I have a 2015 at present, and have had a 2010 and the width is the same, but the depth of the 2015 is much more of a handful. For reference I`ve also had a couple of 2010s, and a couple of 2011s (all part of the same series) and all were pretty much the same. So less chunk in the hand so to speak. Still great basses though, more modern sounding as well in my opinion - that Custom Shop pickup in the 2015 is just scrummy, but much more vintage sounding.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1437416881' post='2825843']
Well I have a 2015 at present, and have had a 2010 and the width is the same, but the depth of the 2015 is much more of a handful. For reference I`ve also had a couple of 2010s, and a couple of 2011s (all part of the same series) and all were pretty much the same.
[/quote]

Is the width the same at all points on the neck, Lozz? Do you know how much more 'chunky' the newer ones are, out of interest?

I`ve not got tools to measure it, but I`m Precision nuts, and this is the first in a long time to make my fretting hand ache when I first got it. Admittedly I`m coming to this one from a 70s Precision, which had a fairly slim neck, but the 2008 - 11 Series didn`t have that effect. I think it`s more the profile than anything - it seems much "rounder/clubbier". It does seem to get less chunky the further you go up the neck, balancing out as the fretboard gets wider.

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1437491104' post='2826480']
Thanks for the information, it might be a nbd very shortly..
[/quote]

Nice one, the 2008 - 11 Series are great basses, can`t think you`ll be sorry.