Why become a member? ×

I think my Amp is shagged.. time for a new one?

Sarah5string

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='272300' date='Aug 29 2008, 09:54 AM']I'm really... really.... tempted by a little giant 350....[/quote]

Not managed to actually find one to try yet but I am too.

If you're 'building up' gear so to speak (thinking partic about the very sensible suggestions re extension cabs) do yourself a favour and get versatile stuff of good quality. 'Used' is a more prudent route with cabs than amps.

The cab needs to be powerful enough to cope with what you're likely to have NEXT amp wise , not just what you have now - otherwise you'll find yourself in the 'losing money by trading spiral'. I doesn't have to be big physically but needs to cope with road rigours.

Think also about the ohmage of the cab. An 8ohm cab will do a great job as an extension to a combo and would work perfectly well as a stand alone cab with your next amp BUT most amp heads deliver full power into a 4ohm load which you won't get from one 8ohm cab - that leaves you needing a 2nd 8 ohm cab or changing to a single 4ohm cab. Either way you would be spending.

For the mo - my best guess is you're asking a little too much of your combo. As folk are saying - try to beg steal or borrow any halfway decent 8ohm cab and see if the sound improves , certainly it will be louder. In that case you know the score and can start looking for something suitable to buy.

tbw honest you should be doing ok with the combo as it is (mine is a 300w, so about 200 as is)
as has been said start by backing off the low bass and mid bass a tad as this sucks loads of power and pushes the driver hard.
also mids will cut through better in a gig situation.
that said though IF you can get another cab then all the better, i guess you are quite a loud band so it would help.
hope it goes well though
and then let the gas commence.

Actually, I'm gonna say something that you could all find really weird. For every practice and gig I've played so far bar one, I use my Peavey [b][/b]50[b][/b] and have had no problems with it whatsoever. Every practice, turn up, plug in and play, and i can always hear myself through the guitarists and drummer, when I'm stood right next to their 50 watt amps, and it never distorts or anything. If anyones interested, I may be selling up soon, although be warned that the power plug is a small bit dodgy, and if its shook about while plugged in, it may or may not cause the amp to die, but I think I sorted it the other day.
Zach

[quote name='5_string_death' post='272747' date='Aug 29 2008, 07:04 PM']Actually, I'm gonna say something that you could all find really weird. For every practice and gig I've played so far bar one, I use my Peavey [b][/b]50[b][/b] and have had no problems with it whatsoever. Every practice, turn up, plug in and play, and i can always hear myself through the guitarists and drummer, when I'm stood right next to their 50 watt amps, and it never distorts or anything. If anyones interested, I may be selling up soon, although be warned that the power plug is a small bit dodgy, and if its shook about while plugged in, it may or may not cause the amp to die, but I think I sorted it the other day.
Zach[/quote]

Your right Zach that is 'really weird'... you have an amp with a dodgy plug that cuts out when you shake the plug and you carried on using it without checking the plug connections or just replacing the plug/lead altogether :)

"Earth calling Zach", this is your life and/or property you are talking about!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='272750' date='Aug 29 2008, 07:10 PM']Your right Zach that is 'really weird'... you have an amp with a dodgy plug that cuts out when you shake the plug and you carried on using it without checking the plug connections or just replacing the plug/lead altogether :)

"Earth calling Zach", this is your life and/or property you are talking about![/quote]
:huh: Yh, I knew it was potentially dangerous, but i had it checked out by my mates dad, who used to be an electrician, and he said it was alright, but just didn't have his tools with him to repair the loose connection. I only remembered the other day, and my dad helped me out with the fix, just had to tighten up the loose wire and its all good now.
Zach

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='272774' date='Aug 29 2008, 07:36 PM']You know I really want one of these then buy a 7.5 ton truck and turn up to a small pub gig with it and have the line "what do you mean too big?" waiting.[/quote]

I,m wondering if ampeg,ll do a deal if I buy two!

[quote name='Pentode' post='273484' date='Aug 31 2008, 08:00 AM']So how'd the gig go?

Hope everything held out ok......! :)

Cheers Grahame[/quote]
It went great! The amp was DI's straight into the PA. No idea how the front of house sounded but all in all it stood up well as the general mix was really good. :huh:
I had to really drop the bass etc down though to prevent the speaker being overloaded but that was compensated by the PA and the room acoustics :huh:

Bass cabs have a nasty habit of vibrating themselves 'loose'. I have had several 1x15" cabs to repair that have developed 'flapping' at higher volumes where it is suspected that the speaker itself is at fault. What it has turned out to be is that the glue holding the baffle board (the panel that the speaker is bolted to) has dried out to become useless and the whole cabinet goes into a horible vibration. Driving screws through the sides of the cabinet into the front panel crudely but sucessfully cures the problem but you obviously don't want to do this if it isn't the problem! Recruit someone to keep hitting a bass note that makes the flapping noise whilst you squeeze the sides if the cab to see if it changes the sound at all or stops the flapping altogether. If that does make a difference, drive those screws home!

Of interest, on a Peavey cab I recently had in, this had the aforementioned rattly cabinet and whilst trying to identify the problem I swept a generator up and down the frequencies to look for resonances and found to my horror that the cab would resonate at around 41Hz or effectively bottom E (give or take 0.2Hz) which is just where you don't want it to resonate! Come on Peavey, you can do better than that - no wonder the cab tried to make itself come apart at the seams!

Obviously taking a cabinet apart and re-gluing/bracing etc is the more professional way to deal with this kind of problem but that takes a lot of time. In the case of the Peavey, I diagonally screwed the baffleboard into the sides at roughly 5" intervals and then when the grille was in position you could no longer see the screws.

OK, without hearing your problem, I can't guarantee that you have a compromised cabinet - it maybe the speaker itself, but in view of the fact of how common this is I would give the cabinet squeezing a try.

Cheers
Steve

+1 to the loose baffle board solution. Is there a visible lead coming from the back of the amp into the cab? If so try it with a different cab.

I had the same problem with my Hartke 215VX. Turned up to a gig and at certain volumes i sounded like Motorhead! (I play in a party band so not the desired sound...). As Zerofret said, the baffle board had worked loose (the cab was only a year old) so 20 screws later it was sorted! I was careful, using glue and a craft knife, so it's not visible and is a pretty permanent solution.

My Hartke A70 combo has developed the same problem, G and G# set it off, which put me off buying the chinese made Hartke stuff.

Edited by lemmywinks