Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1437486573' post='2826423']
A suite? Nay a song cycle? The Dad3353 Songbook.....
[/quote]

... but them's wasn't the pictures..! :rolleyes:

([i]Although I don't know why I bothered doing that; I could have done another couple of pieces in that time. D'oh..![/i] :angry: )

Edited by Dad3353

GRUMP.

I was really happy with this months picture and felt like I would have the time but then work took over again.
I got a couple of days at the start to come up with some stuff and then three evenings this week to get it into Ableton. It didn't come out how I wanted it to but the important thing is I'm actually getting it in on time :D
here 'tis: https://soundcloud.com/alittlebitrobot/hypnos

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1437694032' post='2828371']...the important thing is I'm actually getting it in on time :D...
[/quote]

... and very nice, too. In before the lock, eh..? 'Sgoing to be a difficult choice again. 9 entries so far, I think; maybe one or two tomorrow..? I'll settle back into my armchair, put the kettle on, switch off the TV and switch onto BC Challenge mode. B)
([i]Sounds of hands being rubbed together in glee[/i]....)

I didn't even get a chance to listen to mine on anything but the headphones plugged into my 8-track.
I checked it this morning on my phone and it had [b]5 [/b]plays on Soundcloud.
I just checked it on the headphones I have in work, and it now has[b] 4[/b] plays on Soundcloud.

...this is not a promising start..

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1437729320' post='2828516']
I didn't even get a chance to listen to mine on anything but the headphones plugged into my 8-track.
I checked it this morning on my phone and it had [b]5 [/b]plays on Soundcloud.
I just checked it on the headphones I have in work, and it now has[b] 4[/b] plays on Soundcloud.

...this is not a promising start..
[/quote]

I only have headphones for all my listening and monitoring; inexpensive, albeit half-decent Superlux. I have them on most of the day, in fact. As to the Soundcloud count, I wouldn't rely too much, especially with such a low figure. I'm quite convinced that many 'listens' are really 'bots, picking up on just any old stuff posted. I should know; most of my contributions are squarely in the category of 'any old stuff', and get 'listens' despite that, sometimes even 'likes' from complete strangers. Maybe a count in the hundreds is a bit more significative, I wouldn't know. The essential is that it's a good piece, no..? The 'listens' are a bit of a bonus; to me, at least. B)

[color=#800000][size=4][b]A quick reminder that the deadline for entries is tonight at midnight![/b][/size][/color]

Nine compositions thus far [i](or something like 47 if you count Dad's various noodlings ;))[/i]; a sterling turnout.

I have my own track recorded and arranged. I'm now hoping to make a half-decent job of the mix sometime this evening.

See you all on the other side...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1437736476' post='2828612']
I only have headphones for all my listening and monitoring; inexpensive, albeit half-decent Superlux. I have them on most of the day, in fact. As to the Soundcloud count, I wouldn't rely too much, especially with such a low figure. I'm quite convinced that many 'listens' are really 'bots, picking up on just any old stuff posted. I should know; most of my contributions are squarely in the category of 'any old stuff', and get 'listens' despite that, sometimes even 'likes' from complete strangers. Maybe a count in the hundreds is a bit more significative, I wouldn't know. The essential is that it's a good piece, no..? The 'listens' are a bit of a bonus; to me, at least. B)
[/quote]

yeah, I'm not too bothered about listens, really. But I thought it was funny that the count went down because it made me think of somebody so bored by the tune that they somehow UNlistened.

On headphones, my favourite headphones are just some fairly cheap Sony ones. I like how neutral they are. ....but they're the ones I leave in work :D My headphones at home are decent but they advertise their mega bassiness, which isn't very good for mixing.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1437743278' post='2828723']... [i](or something like 47 if you count Dad's various noodlings ;))...[/i]
[/quote]

I've told you millions of times to not exaggerate..! :P

Only the first ('Concrete Jungle, Solid Air'...) counts, of course, the others being 'throwaways' (and certainly not 'noodlings', thank you very much..! <_< ).

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]I’m in…[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]http://soundcloud.com/skollob/icarus[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]More messing around with the old piano, trying to create something ‘spacious’ and cinematic.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Bass guitar is my own; strings and other things are all programmed in MIDI using the Reason factory soundbank.[/size][/size][/font]