Why become a member? ×

Potential Project Purchase

kemra

Hi all, I have been looking at some of the build diaries today and have been hankering after a project to fill my time with. I was pondering doing a J Bass project preferably using a real Fender J Bass body and going from there. However I found this whilst browsing Ebay today:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIVE-STRING-CUSTOM-BASS-PROJECT-EXOTIC-WOOD_W0QQitemZ180281007943QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180281007943&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIVE-STRING-CUSTOM-B...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

I like the look of it but as my knowledge of exotic woods is minimal I wasn't sure what woods these were and if it was a good deal at all. Do you guys think that this would be a great bass to build on or would it just be better to find a Fender J Bass body to start a project with?

**EDIT** Not sure if this is in the right place, was a bit unsure to be honest. If it is could a Mod kindly move it to the correct place? Many thanks!

Edited by kemra

That's been on eBay for ages, which suggests that it's overpriced.

I personally wouldn't take it on for the following reasons:

1) holes already drilled for tuners, limiting your choices. They're also not drilled very straight (as in aligned with each other).
2) pickup routs are HUGE, pretty much limiting you to large soapbar pickups
3) I don't care too much for the placement of the control holes
4) there are 2 broken screws stuck in the headstock
5) the wood's not all that bonnie. It would have to have some kind of amazing figure in it for me to put up with/put right the issues listed above.

Everything is fixable, but if it's your first go, I'd suggest that this needs a little too much TLC.

If this is your first go, why not give this a try - [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360082226020"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=360082226020[/url]
It's not exciting, but you can't really go wrong for £70 for everything.

[quote name='neepheid' post='271878' date='Aug 28 2008, 04:26 PM']That's been on eBay for ages, which suggests that it's overpriced.

I personally wouldn't take it on for the following reasons:

1) holes already drilled for tuners, limiting your choices. They're also not drilled very straight (as in aligned with each other).
2) pickup routs are HUGE, pretty much limiting you to large soapbar pickups
3) I don't care too much for the placement of the control holes
4) there are 2 broken screws stuck in the headstock
5) the wood's not all that bonnie. It would have to have some kind of amazing figure in it for me to put up with/put right the issues listed above.

Everything is fixable, but if it's your first go, I'd suggest that this needs a little too much TLC.

If this is your first go, why not give this a try - [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360082226020"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=360082226020[/url]
It's not exciting, but you can't really go wrong for £70 for everything.[/quote]

Very good points. That P Bass kit does look interesting, if i cant find anything else before that auction is up I may just pick that up. Thanks for the replies so far guys both very helpful :)

If you've not had any experince with modding or anything, might be beneficial to score a cheapy to play with from gumtree or Trade-it. I;ve scored a couple for under £20. You can practice neck shims and hole drilling, and you'll have a set of spares, any upgrades you buy can be taken off and put on the new project once you are confident.

Start from scratch with a decent Fender donor.

Steer clear of that on ebay, getting invloved in somone elses 1/2 finished project is like a plot line for brookside.

Besides starting with a big F, if you get board or want another project you can move it on.....

If you want any advice at pimping a F, there are plenty on here that have done it including me.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

I actually went ahead and bought the kit that Neepheid linked, but with the intent of using some slightly better parts in place (thinking of bridge and pickups at the moment). So I'll soon post this in the Build Diary section when i receive my kit. Have no idea what colour im gonna finish it and whether I will stick with the supplied PG or not. I think after this I will use a real F body and maybe a Warmoth neck or something, but this will do me for the tinme being.

So thanks guys but I'm sure I will be bugging you all again (especially when it comes to the actualy process of refinishing the body)!

Let us know how you get on with the kit - the headstock reminds me of sx bases - I wonder if they're from the same factory? I built a fretless Precision out of brandoni parts several years ago. Its great fun gigging a bass you put together.

The homemade project looks like the bloke put it all together, found that it was as shabby as Robbie Williams without auto tune, so is trying to unload it on ebay.

I played one of the natural wood kit basses the other day...someone was trying to offload one at the local music shop. The action was higher than charlie watts, and the bodywood felt like nastynasty plasticy crap, but it had an addictive *something* about the tone...I just couldn't put it down...it was really funny, I was just hooked! I must've spent about half an hour twiddling (the shop was empty and I know the guys well, so I wasn't being annoying!) and it was thoroughly enjoyable!

wouldn't leave it without a decent layer of paint, mind...