Why become a member? ×

Sire V7

Funky Dunky

I know there's a thread but it's 5012 pages long so I've started a separate thread to ask a specific question. Mods feel free to lock/delete once the question os answered

How do the necks on the 4 string Sire MM V7 compare to that of a Squier or Fender Jazz? Are they any thicker? I like the look of them but you can't try them out because only Thomann stock them. I like a shallow neck and wouldn't want to order one in the future if it's a chunky-ass neck.

Edited by Funky Dunky

They're not what you'd call chunky-ass by any means, but in my opinion you have slightly more wood in your hand (fnarr) than a standard Jazz. Nowhere near the size of a P-Bass neck though. The nut width is very similar to a J. If you're a committed J-man I don't think you'd be disappointed. My review is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/258828-nbd-sire-marcus-miller-v7-alder-4-awh-audio/"]here[/url].

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1435094138' post='2805491']
They're not what you'd call chunky-ass by any means, but in my opinion you have slightly more wood in your hand (fnarr) than a standard Jazz. Nowhere near the size of a P-Bass neck though. The nut width is very similar to a J. If you're a committed J-man I don't think you'd be disappointed.
[/quote]

Sounds very similar to the neck on the J&D "1975 Vintage" J bass. Thick and chunky when compared to my Geddy Lee (unsurprisingly!) but still very comfortable and ergonomic. Those basses are well worth a try too... There's a modded, used one for sale at the moment - definitely great value! http://basschat.co.uk/topic/264661-upgraded-jack-and-danny-jazz-bass-pics-added/

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1435307067' post='2807403']
If you can apply the words thick and chunky to it compared to anything other than a wafer, it"s probably not gonna suit me. I have gimpety hands.

Thin, shallow necks all the way for me.....
[/quote]
Have you tried a Geddy Lee Jazz?

If you can apply the words thick and chunky to it compared to anything other than a wafer, it"s probably not gonna suit me. I have gimpety hands.

Thin, shallow necks all the way for me.....
[/quote]
I have the stupidest little fingers in the history of stupiddom, which is why I've always got on best with skinny little Jazz type necks. The neck on my V7 fiver is at least as comfortable for me as that on my Yamaha RBX. In other words, very slim and very comfy, yes. I can't comment on the 4-string V7s as I haven't seen or played one.

If you can apply the words thick and chunky to it compared to anything other than a wafer, it's probably not gonna suit me. I have gimpety hands. Thin, shallow necks all the way for me...
[/quote]

As a P-Bass man, it's all relative... I wouldn't say thick or chunky. Just not super-thin.
I'd say try to find someone within striking distance who's got one and try it. :)

I played an Ibanez SR and a Yamaha TRBX before I bought the V7. Both the Ibanez and Yamaha have thin necks, jazz (38mm) nut and are very shallow from front to back.

The V7 is a bit thicker from front (fretboard) to back, but it's not something that's given me any problems. Actually, I've found I quite like that little extra thickness. I find it very comfortable to play and I've got the crap fingers for playing any musical instrument.

I've never tried a Geddy Lee jazz but I've been eyeing them up. Lovely basses. I'm at a gear crossroads here, I either sell all my gear and start anew, probably with a Fender Jazzer, or I keep my Squier and add a Squier VM Jazz or something like a Sire V7. But I will never buy a bass without playing it first, too easy to make an expensive mistake.

thanks to everyone for the input so far :)