Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Monorail Bridge system any good?

Naetharu

Hi folks,

I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with a mono-rail bridge? I've heard mention that they can be difficult to re-string - I'm a little cautious that they are going to be the bass version of a Floyd Rose nightmare. Are they worth it or would you just go for a classic high-mass bridge given the choice?

I have them on several basses and never had any trouble.

Other than when you take all the strings off the neck to do the neck they fall out of the body. Which is not really an issue.

I prefer them to normal bridges, but not for sound reasons, which i have never noticed any difference in.

Edited by Woodinblack

I think I read somewhere that this system originated with Ibanez' rather cool Affirma basses - which also featured Piezos & built-in E- string detuner.

I have two basses with this system - an Ibanez EDA (basically a cheap plastic Affirma clone!) and an Aria STB-GT. I find these bridges work perfectly well (and look quite cool), and I'm a fan of the hook-in string fitment, which makes removal/fitting very quick & straightforward.

I don't think I'd ever choose to use this system on a build or project though - spacing & alignment could prove a right pain & errors during construction potentially catastrophic.

Jon.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1435241970' post='2806898']
They're very easy to fit. I used the ABM's for my first Jazz clone project. Couldn't be happier.
[/quote]

Might depend how cack-handed you are with a drill. I've learned my limitations through bitter experience... :ph34r:

J.