Why become a member? ×

Amps with Knobs sticking out

spacey

Latest fashion fad is for the bass amp to look like you have cannibalised your dads Hi-fi amp ?
Square metal box, no handles (to make it easy to drop) with all the controls and knobs sticking out the front and sockets proud on the back.
You must have to carry them and store them like a bottle of nitro.

I can not help thinking even one sudden breaking in the car and the bass case will decapitate the controls, or even worse how do they manage on the road.
They do come with a 2mm plastic pvc bag.
A very backwards step in design, a metal box with exposed controls ?

Must be getting old.

Most of them have threaded holes in the side for fitting rack ears, so if you want it in an enclosed box that option is available. I do prefer it when makers use front handles to protect the knobs a little, like the GK MB amps do. Carry it in a padded bag, or rack it if you're touring, and the whole thing is a non-issue IMO.

I'd suggest that the ratio of pro/semipro to bedroom players is such that there's a market for amps that will never see a gig at all, and will stay, intact, where they were placed just after being unboxed. No problem there, especially as the 'case' option is there (see above...). :mellow: