Why become a member? ×

First ever gig TONIGHT...

Sarah5string

Good luck for the gig. I remember my first one, I was petrified as we went on, it went like a flash then I spent the next two weeks ( till next gig ) absolutely desperate to get up there and play again.

Only thing I can add to other comments is to be prepared for everything to sound different to rehearsal. The room accoustic's, set up places etc that you get used to at rehearsal change dramatically when you are playing live.

Have fun, smile lots ( when i watch our vids back I always seem to be "too serious" with my concentration ) and I look forward to the review when I log on tomorrow ( I bet you come straight home and post the review as you will be absolutely buzzing and unable to sleep )

Tony

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='273174' date='Aug 30 2008, 03:03 PM']Oh god.. I just went through our set once and completely bogged up the solo to the all important last song..

*feels sick*[/quote]
Ah, the old axiom 'sh*t practice, good gig' means you'll have a blinder, so relax! Anyone taking pics?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='273500' date='Aug 31 2008, 08:56 AM']It's nearly 9 on a morning after a gig, have you ever been up before 12 the morning after a gig if you haven't got to go to work?[/quote]

I wish I could sleep past 9, the older I get the earlier it gets... I don't drink anymore and I reckon this is the cost of a hangover free morning :)

Edit: Morning to you :huh:

Edited by OldG

It was just amazing... in the end 33 people showed up just to see us! We never imagined that we'd get those kind of number especially as we're unknown. 2 of the 4 bands that were supposed to be there didn't show so in the end we ended up playing first followed by a thrash metal band called Upon Descent. What we were doing was totally different to that kind of thing but they were so lovely. In fact everyone was really nice which really helped with the pregig nerves! We soundechecked about 8 and after much schmoozing and mingling we hit the stage at 9.30. As soon as that first song started my brain starting screaming 'F****************CK!' at me as loud as it could but the adrenaline was amazing! Our first song was our own, followed straight in by slither by velvet revolver which went really well. Then Incubus' Wish you were here, Mr brownstone by G'N'R (again went really well other than Jam nearly breaking his voice ). Them bones by alice in chains went well except for a couple of balls ups and then we went into Avenged sevenfold's Almost easy which Ste played faster than normla . Me and D were on backing vocals, and stepping up to the mic D managed to step on his tuner and cut his sound... followed by me playing COMPLETELY the wrong thing while singing... I've no idea what I was playing and all I know is it was on completely the wrong string and position . We finished with the 2nd of our tracks which was such a great ender. Really energetic and bouncey and everyone loved it. Finished on such a high it was great!!! I made soooooooooooo many mistakes I lost count and my hands were so sweaty they were sliding off the fretboard But it was SO much fun I wanted to do it again!!! In the end I gave up on trying to play 100% accurately and just went with the 'rocking out' method... ie... moving about and generally 'rocking out' whilst attempting to play something at least close to the original.. lol!
The funniest moment was when we finished and went to the bar... literally the whole room left with us!!! There were about 6 people who'd shown up for the other band. .. the rest were for us and left, enmass... when we'd finished! lol

There was a proper band photographer there who was one of D's mates so we should get some really good shots.. and all manner of people were taking photos so there'll be loads up soon.. but for the moment I'll leave you with a taster pic that Ste took from behind his drumkit... me on the right, Jam in the middle and D on the left.

Want to do it again!! Now we're going to get our heads down and write all new material... ready for the next gig which will be all originals by us....
Rock ooooooooooon!

OH AND we got paid £45 for the priviledge!!! Beer money!! Woooo! Shame I was driving.. lol

Edited by Sarah5string

I never sleep more than about 6hrs a night, even when I'm boozed up...mucho frustrating, but it gives me plenty of time for makin a MAHOOSIVE fryup :)

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='273521' date='Aug 31 2008, 09:23 AM']It was just amazing...[/quote]

WOOHOOO! glad it went well, and to get that kind crowd AND get paid on your first gig, thats a freakin RESULT! Nicely done!

o yeah, wheres the photo! <<ignore...it just took longer than usual to load up!

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='273525' date='Aug 31 2008, 09:30 AM']I never sleep more than about 6hrs a night, even when I'm boozed up...mucho frustrating, but it gives me plenty of time for makin a MAHOOSIVE fryup :)

WOOHOOO! glad it went well, and to get that kind crowd AND get paid on your first gig, thats a freakin RESULT! Nicely done!

o yeah, wheres the photo! <<ignore...it just took longer than usual to load up![/quote]
I fixed it... realised that copying and pasting didn't include the link lol!

[quote name='Musky' post='273532' date='Aug 31 2008, 09:41 AM']Congratulations Sarah - so glad you enjoyed it. It's a total buzz isn't it?

And a finger to the guitarist who didn't have the bottle for it! :)[/quote]
Thing is... we made mistakes all over the place.. but these were overshadowed by the rest of the night being so fab... but the other guitarist would've taken those mistakes REALLY personally... so in a way it worked out for the best..

My heart nearly escaped through my mouth when we started though... Have never been so scared/excited in my whole life! And for ages before I went into complete hype mode! lol

Edited by Sarah5string

Oh and sound wise... I could hardly hear a thing I was playing sometimes.. by monitor was really tempermental so I was relying on my amp for stage sound. No idea what it sounded like foh but I was DI'd from the amp into the pa... so hopefully the sound out front was better than on stage! lol My little amp did me proud though... and even if it did sound iffy on stage.. I'm past caring now.. lol!