Why become a member? ×

Best way to package a valve amp

JamesBass

I sold my Bassman valve amp a while back and it was packed to within an inch of its life.

I took the valves out that didn't have retainers, wrapped them separately in bubblewrap and stashed them securely back inside the amp case.

Then I wrapped the whole amp with a couple of layers of bubblewrap and put it inside a close-fitting box. Sealed with tape.

That box I then packed into another, much bigger box with the 'prawn cracker' type packing stuff. That gave me two solid layers of protection.

About two hours work, all in. However I knew it would survive anything the courier network could throw at it.

It took the bloke that bought it about twenty minutes to get it out!

Dont go too soft. i've seen them done with upholstery foam, trouble is a heavy amp will move too much if its dropped.

Wrap it in a couple of layers of bubblewap, then box it with at least 3" of broken up polystyrene chunks, the sort of stuff thats used for moulded packing broken into bug chunks.

If you must take out the valves, roll then in bubblewrap and put them in a cardboard tube, then put the tube inside the amp.

Get some handles on it. Couriers like being able to pick it up comfortably with one hand, if it needs to be picked and carried with two hands there's more chance of it getting dropped and/or put down roughly.

Whenever I package large amps or some cabs, I always leave a handle poking out.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1431897440' post='2776082']
Get some handles on it. Couriers like being able to pick it up comfortably with one hand, if it needs to be picked and carried with two hands there's more chance of it getting dropped and/or put down roughly.

Whenever I package large amps or some cabs, I always leave a handle poking out.
[/quote]

Great bit of advice

I bought 40lb of all-valver from here recently. It arrived safely, wrapped in 2 good layers of bubble wrap, and then in that shredded cardboard made from old boxes - looks a bit corrugated - then in a sturdy box.

IMHO, bubblewrap is your friend - it absorbs so much of the blow if anything gets dropped

+1 on removing & individually wrapping valves.

Also +1 on massive amounts of bubblewrap. Several layers is actually stronger than you might think and can support a heavy amp. That and a strong box. Just using void-fill isn't really great as the amp could settle.