Why become a member? ×

Customer service - how long does it take?

The first two at roughly the same time; purely as all you do is wrap and pop to post office / arrange collection by courier
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. An amp which requires boxing up and couriering;[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Something that you take off a shelf, put in a jiffy bag and mail.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Only because it requires making then mailing[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. A hand made speaker cable;[/font][/color]

Edited by Old_Ben

I used to hand-make all my cables using top quality components and a soldering iron (I got sick of paying through the nose for 'professional' cables that were forever falling apart). Without rushing unduly I could wire up an XLR cable (3 soldered joints at each end) in around 30 minutes. Another minute or two with a multimeter to test the connections, and away we go. If I were ordering from a company that makes bespoke cables (and presumably employs a team of people with the right kit who do it all the time) I'd be disappointed if it wasn't made the same day.

Delivery is in the hands of the Post Office, but making a cable to a professional standard is not a long job. Just saying...

Edited by leftybassman392

Depends on the shipping methods.

Most larger stores that ship amps will use a next day delivery service. At our shop we use a company that picks up around 16:00 and delivers mid-morning the next day.

First class post should be 24 hours but it's not uncommon to take up to 10 days if something gets lost en route.

Making a cable will depend on th availability and demand of the maker. If not busy then it could be made the same day and posted registered signed for to arrive the next day.

Depends on the source and destination. My bespoke, top quality cables were hand-made by OBBM, to a very high standard and delivered (to France..!) in no time flat. Impressive, and no more expensive than 'ordinary' cables. Top man, that fellow.
I've had 'jiffy bag' items arrive the next day, others take weeks to arrive. There's no rule, sense nor logic to it, it seems to be entirely based on the rolling of a ball in a roulette wheel. Strange.
Larger objects I'd normally expect in 10-15 days, quite regularly. Local (France...), or from US or UK, 'tis much of a muchness. Some US parcels can take longer, but it's rare.
So, in order of speed of response...

1 - (OBBM...) Cables
2 - Jiffy bag, some (most..?) of the time
3 - Heavier/bulkier parcels

Feedback that I've had is that "something" (in my case, strings) taken off a shelf and put in a jiffy bag can take anywhere from less than 24 hours, to about a week, dependant on a lot of factors.

It's quite hard to give a definite answer. I've sent out second class post that has taken less than 24 hours to reach our customer, usually it takes about 2-3 days, but there has been the odd time where it's taken about a week.

So there's definitely the possibility that the couriered amp could arrive before any of them, if everything falls into place with the courier.

Since the subject is customer service the answer is:

It really doesn't matter how long each item takes or in what order the items are delivered in. What matters is that the customer is informed on the estimated delivery time before he places the order.

If I order a lead and they say two weeks and my gig is in 4 weeks, It really doesn't matter.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1431970433' post='2776780']
Since the subject is customer service the answer is:

It really doesn't matter how long each item takes or in what order the items are delivered in. What matters is that the customer is informed on the estimated delivery time before he places the order.

If I order a lead and they say two weeks and my gig is in 4 weeks, It really doesn't matter.
[/quote]

Some people regard shipping times as an aspect of customer service. People don't like to wait too long. Usually any holdups with our deliveries is completely down to the postal carrier. We have a very clear policy on dispatching orders ASAP. We then let the customer know if there will be any hold-ups with the delivery (public holidays, strikes, times of high demand, etc etc). And I think our customers really appreciate that - I know I'd appreciate it if I was on the receiving end.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1431970877' post='2776793']

Some people regard shipping times as an aspect of customer service. People don't like to wait too long. Usually any holdups with our deliveries is completely down to the postal carrier. We have a very clear policy on dispatching orders ASAP. We then let the customer know if there will be any hold-ups with the delivery (public holidays, strikes, times of high demand, etc etc). And I think our customers really appreciate that - I know I'd appreciate it if I was on the receiving end.
[/quote]

That's fair enough. But as soon as possible is very vague.

If I'm planning a project I need to know lead times. As soon as possible could be 4 weeks or 6 weeks.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1431973699' post='2776838']
That's fair enough. But as soon as possible is very vague.

If I'm planning a project I need to know lead times. As soon as possible could be 4 weeks or 6 weeks.
[/quote]

It says on our website that we aim to dispatch all orders within 2 working days, however the vast majority are sent out much sooner than that. Like I said, there have been instances where we've had an order come in at lunchtime, and it's been in our customer's hands by lunchtime the next day.

It's all highly dependant on how efficient the postal service is. We actually send out most orders within a few hours of receiving them. It usually pans out well, but a BC member recently put in an order on a Saturday, and the following Monday was a bank holiday, so the post wasn't actually collected until Tuesday. Then it took until Friday to arrive. I was not that pleased about that, but there was literally nothing that I could do to improve the situation. I think we were both happy enough in the end that it had arrived, and wasn't lost.

To round off this point - StringPing.com falls into the category of taking stuff off a shelf and posting it. I'm not hand-winding these strings (much to everyone's benefit). I'd be surprised if any online retailer had a lead time of more than a few days on items they have in stock.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1431977809' post='2776938']

It says on our website that we aim to dispatch all orders within 2 working days,

[/quote]

That's essentially what I'm getting at.

Anyone not receiving their strings the next day isn't going to be pacing their hallway waiting for the rattle of the letterbox and phoning your managing director on the stroke of midnight on his home phone :D

Communication.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1431981482' post='2777011']
That's essentially what I'm getting at.

Anyone not receiving their strings the next day isn't going to be pacing their hallway waiting for the rattle of the letterbox and phoning your managing director on the stroke of midnight on his home phone :D

Communication.
[/quote]

I don't think any of my customers would complain about my communication, in all fairness :)

Although it is a problem that many businesses suffer from.

Edited by MiltyG565