Why become a member? ×

Advice on fretless with narrow string spacing, 4/5 string

zawinul

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1434030361' post='2796103']
looked all around for what I want nearest thins is sterling stingray and they are about £1700 so may as well take the plunge and go for an Alan special, just pooping my pants a bit at laying down so much money on a bass!!
[/quote]

I honestly think that's the best way forward mate. Only a custom bass will meet your quite specific needs properly, and Alan's basses come in at a similar price to some production line assembled US basses. To me, and ACG is a no brainer.

Eude

I did not read all the posts, so if this has been mentioned, sorry.

Ibanez makes a great SR series fretless bass with a rather narrow string spacing, good actives, and well built and balanced, that is value-for-money. I don't think having to go custom is necessary. I play an older SRA305 for the same reasons the OP posted.

Link:
[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eb_page15.php?year=2015&cat_id=2&series_id=51&data_id=51&color=CL01"]http://www.ibanez.co...d=51&color=CL01[/url]

In the USA, it has a "street price" of less than $1000.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1434115818' post='2796860']
I did not read all the posts, so if this has been mentioned, sorry.

Ibanez makes a great SR series fretless bass with a rather narrow string spacing, good actives, and well built and balanced, that is value-for-money. I don't think having to go custom is necessary. I play an older SRA305 for the same reasons the OP posted.

Link:
[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eb_page15.php?year=2015&cat_id=2&series_id=51&data_id=51&color=CL01"]http://www.ibanez.co...d=51&color=CL01[/url]

In the USA, it has a "street price" of less than $1000.
[/quote]

I just watched the video at the bottom of the page and it certainly sounds nice.

I have a Zon VB5 Fretless I'll sell. I'd be looking for $2400 USD plus shipping. It's like new..built in 2010...has a trussrod and lines...sounds great! 16.5mm spacing...same as Wal 5-strings...it's an ash body with amber staining...a beauty, headless, with case, excellent.

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1431547853' post='2772562']
Dear Bass Chat

i'm a new user, old bass player! Used to own a Wal fretless in 80's sold it (biggest regret of my life!), now looking to get another decent fretless but my budget at present not up to £3000-3500!

At present I have a Squire vintage fretless with Bad ass bridge, Its ok I guess but passive, not very inspiring, so want to treat myself to a decent bass up to £2000 (hopefully less!)

[b]Do any of you peeps know of a bass that has very fast neck with narrow string spacing 16 -16.5, lined fretless, active, I'm looking for punchy tone, like a Wal, but with decent growl, don't want muddy sounding crap, very crisp please!!?[/b]

It would seem to me having done research that 5 string basses usually have narrower string spacing ANYWAY,? so that could be a solution, strung E,A,D,G,C, don;t want low B, too low for me!

So I've looked at:

Status - wonderful narrow fast necks, headless, lovely, pricey, graphite neck = nice punchy tone with good highs £2500!
Sandberg - difficult getting any info on string spacing, and what does it sounds like? £1500
Roscoe- Looks and sounds nice expensive, not sure about spacing > £2200
Mayones - Look and sound ace, spacing? £1600 - 2000
Overwater- does do narrow strings, sounds very smooth but is it punchy enough? £2200
Musicman - as far as I see none in the UK, so can't fond out much about these. £1600
Spector - Dittp Musicman, are these any good (ca get a Euro for £1500)

So my question is has anyone experience with any of the above as fretless (or otherwise)... I know there is no substitute for a Wal and may even end up getting one, but is there ANYTHING out there thats what I want (can you read my mind)

I want quality, playability, light small body, fast action, narrow neck, smooth as butter with zing!!!! Any good suggestions other than above?

Thanks for listening I hope you can help!!!!!
[/quote]

The ESP LTD B-205 SM-FL Fretless 5string Fretless has a really close spacing, nice smooth fast neck and good action. They sell for £400 too.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1434345955' post='2798724']
The ESP LTD B-205 SM-FL Fretless 5string Fretless has a really close spacing, nice smooth fast neck and good action. They sell for £400 too.
[/quote]

I tried this in a shop but really didn;t like the feel of the bass or its sound, its all personal in the end!!

[quote name='Descendent' timestamp='1434298476' post='2798430']
Try Alpher Instruments from Yorkshire. I have a custom fretless which they built for me last year. Lovely slim neck and 16mm string spacing. Really good price too.

Alpher.co.uk
[/quote]

I see you also have am ACG krell whats that like, Im very tempted to order a fretless from Alan!!

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1434408503' post='2799377']
I see you also have am ACG krell whats that like, Im very tempted to order a fretless from Alan!!
[/quote]

It's absolutely brilliant! It has a flat (0 radius) fingerboard, an asymmetric neck and the Krell shape balances really well - I love mine, I'd never part with it. Every time I play a different bass then go back to the ACG it's like coming home, if you know what I mean!

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1434408438' post='2799376']

I tried this in a shop but really didn;t like the feel of the bass or its sound, its all personal in the end!!
[/quote]

I don't own mine anymore which says it all really. But it's worth exploring, and you had. So alls good. Good luck in the search.

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1434793002' post='2802827']
If you're ever up Swindon way I have an ACG J-Type fretless that you could try out..........
[/quote]

Cool, many thanks for that I may have to take you up on that kind offer!!