Why become a member? ×

PJB Briefcase - anybody has seen/heard the "ultimate" version?

mcnach

I just noticed that there seems to be another version of the Briefcase, called "Ultimate", which is 200W as opposed to 100W, uses different speakers... not sure if there's any other difference...

Has anybody been able to play through both? Any comments?

I'm tempted to get a Briefcase but I'm wondering about the two different models.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1431546159' post='2772533']
I played through a 100w briefcase amp. It sounded very clear and defined but it only just about kept up with a quiet drummer.
[/quote]

I would not use it for rehearsal/gigs, but it would substitute my practice amp and my busking (battery) amp and presumably do a better job than both my current units.
I like the size, weight and... shape! It seems really well designed from a portability aspect. The 200W version should be a little louder too, although I'm not sure that's too important. But it seems nobody has seen one in the flesh, let alone tried one! I wonder if they sound very different. The controls seem to be identical (I wish it had some kind of aux input too).

I really enjoy my briefcase, and I can imagine that a 200W version would make it usable for more occasions than the 100W version.

I'm using mine mainly with the stagg EUB for band practice when we do our swing/jazzy set. Stick it in a corner of the room, and it holds its own very well with drum, keys, guitar (clean), and loud vocals. I don't really use it for the full funk/pop/rock set, perhaps a 200W version would work for small, not too loud gigs.

It's all down to what the speakers and cab can do with the watts :) I have gigged in a medium sized pub with a 100W HH head into a 4x10 cab...

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1431602710' post='2772999']
I really enjoy my briefcase, and I can imagine that a 200W version would make it usable for more occasions than the 100W version.

I'm using mine mainly with the stagg EUB for band practice when we do our swing/jazzy set. Stick it in a corner of the room, and it holds its own very well with drum, keys, guitar (clean), and loud vocals. I don't really use it for the full funk/pop/rock set, perhaps a 200W version would work for small, not too loud gigs.

It's all down to what the speakers and cab can do with the watts :) I have gigged in a medium sized pub with a 100W HH head into a 4x10 cab...
[/quote]

I never saw this as a giggable amp, I have other solutions (some tiny) for that. The fact that you can manage for a (not very loud, but still with drums) rehearsal, is a real bonus.
From that point of view... 100W or 200W won't make much difference to me, although we always want the bigger version, don't we? ;) But as they'll use different speakers etc, I wonder how different they sound. Also, do they have different controls? An aux input would *really* make me want to buy one asap. Although there are simple and small battery operated 2-4 channel mixers that I could use with that (thinking of the battery-operated function, out in the wild... at home I don't care so much).