Why become a member? ×

Sandbergs with Delanos

Roland Rock

I've seen a Sandberg that I really like the look of, and it has (I think) Delano pup (Sandberg branded, but with the distinctive huge pole pieces)

I've read that these pups are inherintly bright, and people have trouble dialling that top end out.

Anyone got any experience? Is it something a set of flats would cure?

I've got an older Sandberg when they still had the pups Delano branded. Got a J neck and MM style bridge, haven't experienced any unwanted levels of brightness with rounds or flats and there's plenty of control available from the pre to dial in or out what you need. First I've heard of the issue to be honest.

Thanks. It's the penultimate comment on this thread
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160414-has-anyone-here-upgraded-their-sandberg-pickup-advice/

Also this video demo of the actual bass. There is a lot of brightness, buzziness and clickiness that offends me. I'm hoping that a lot of it is down to technique/strings, but wanted other peoples' experiences.
http://youtu.be/e1wsTCy6-BQ

Edited by Roland Rock

Had my hands on a couple of VM California basses and fell in love with the sound of the pickups. Think they were both equippped with Delano pickups and glockenklang preamps. In passive or active mode it was so easy to dial in a range of usable sounds. I don't like too much top end and they certainly had plenty of low down grunt.

Liked them so much that I'm looking at modding my stingray with a delano/glockenklang setup and I've no doubt I'll get another Sandberg at some point, won't buy blind from Thomann again though.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1431453083' post='2771556']
Thanks. It's the penultimate comment on this thread
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160414-has-anyone-here-upgraded-their-sandberg-pickup-advice/
[/quote]

Interesting one - read the thread, definitely not a problem that I recognise. I've done various recordings with it and used it an absolute bloody ton live and never felt I've had to tame any excessive brightness. May be down to how peoples amps etc are set up too I guess. I do find it to be a Swiss army knife of a bass, with enough flexibility from the electronics to cover a pretty broad range of tones - if you cranked the treble on the preamp you could certainly end up with too much and it has no problem doing biting and agressive, but then I kept flats on it for a couple of years and it really nailed that warm, thuddy old set school tone too so it's more than capable of dialling it out.

The Delanos are not vintage sounding PUs. If you are looking for that, get Häussel PUs.
On the other hand, I would not say they are extremely bright; you can dial in a lot of usable tones.
Also, the demo video above is not a very good representation...

[quote name='xroads' timestamp='1431501440' post='2771875']
The Delanos are not vintage sounding PUs. If you are looking for that, get Häussel PUs.
On the other hand, I would not say they are extremely bright; you can dial in a lot of usable tones.
[/quote]
+1, I have had both and agree with the above.

[quote name='xroads' timestamp='1431501440' post='2771875']
[/quote]

Thanks. I have Häussel pickups in my favourite bass, and love them. I was hoping for a bit of vintage P thump in a new bass, so maybe this one is not ideal :-(