Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Guitar cutting out

cheddatom

Has he changed the battery? I had a problem with my GWB35 and tried everything, including the battery connector, but it turned out that there was an internal fault in the (Duracell) battery. It was really really sensitive and unplugging and re plugging the jack socket was often enough to make it go again - for 10 minutes or so.

However when that went on and off it did so with a big pop, but I guess that that will depend on the pre-amp design.

• 8 years later...

Hi Paul, no, he swapped the guitar in the end. Maybe there are some sort of ICs on these pre-amps that need a reboot every so often, like a computer, but I doubt it as no-one mentioned it on this thread

The guitar he swapped to is another Yamaha, a very similar model, and he's never had an issue with it once!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheddatom said:

Hi Paul, no, he swapped the guitar in the end. Maybe there are some sort of ICs on these pre-amps that need a reboot every so often, like a computer, but I doubt it as no-one mentioned it on this thread

The guitar he swapped to is another Yamaha, a very similar model, and he's never had an issue with it once!

cheers, mine is a Yamaha as well, tried it yesterday for about 30 minutes, no issues at all, better start taking my spare with me 😀

• Like 1

Just throwing in an idea from left-field here:  some battery-operated electronics (incl. tuners) have timers to power-off the function if not operated for a certain time, to save battery.  IF (yes, it's a big if!) a fault develops in the function switching logic, or power-switching components, then I guess this reported behaviour (random cut-out) could be one possible fault-mode

Unplugging/re-plugging the jack will power-cycle the electronics, and therefore, in effect, provide a 'reboot', as mentioned in prev posts

• Like 1