Why become a member? ×

Thanks Parcelforce - Hurray my new bass has arrrived and been tossed over the gate

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1432146589' post='2778668']

The action of the driver was not great.
the initial action was wrong.

[/quote]

Is it not great or is it wrong. It's not a black and white issue.

Many of us have packages delivered to us with no issue whatsoever.

The OP doesn't seem bothered that the package could have been stolen so I'll assume he lives in a nice area. The cardboard wasn't damaged so again I'll assume that the box was gently lowered over the gate. The box was slightly damp. Boxes get wet In transit anyway, if it's a worry that the contents will get damaged in the rain that's down to the original packing.

I've made a few assumptions there based on evidence.

I've yet to see any evidence that the package was just thrown over the gate.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1432153640' post='2778747']
Is it not great or is it wrong. It's not a black and white issue.

Many of us have packages delivered to us with no issue whatsoever.

The OP doesn't seem bothered that the package could have been stolen so I'll assume he lives in a nice area. The cardboard wasn't damaged so again I'll assume that the box was gently lowered over the gate. The box was slightly damp. Boxes get wet In transit anyway, if it's a worry that the contents will get damaged in the rain that's down to the original packing.

I've made a few assumptions there based on evidence.

I've yet to see any evidence that the package was just thrown over the gate.
[/quote]

Dont forget that its standard practice for many couriers to offer to leave parcels in 'safe' places if there's no answer. With a neighbour, out building, side gate etc Courier may not have thought he'd done anything 'that' wrong! Especially as most people kick off if there parcel is not delivered and has to go back to the depot

The driver would have known what was within the rules and what wasn't. Regardless of the expectation vs reality argument with senior management, there will be very clear guidelines on delivery protocol, even if it is not realistically 'achievable'.

Forging a signature, by a company that is owned by Royal Mail Group (clues in the name- Royal) is always going to be a disciplinary matter. Having worked for Royal Mail, this will have been the breaking point, and the difference between a stern telling off for leaving a parcel in the rain, and risk of the sack.

A postman in my office once had an accident on delivery and admitted to stepping over a chain on the driveway as a shortcut, rather than using the proper path to the house. Several weeks later he was spotted doing the same thing by a manager and was instantly dismissed. He had something like 20 years service at the time too.

The bass wasn't tossed* over the gate.
We all know the bass wasn't tossed* over the gate.
The OP knows the bass wasn't tossed* over the gate.
Had the bass been tossed* over the gate, the box in the photo would have looked rather different.

* on the assumption that the act of tossing involves the item leaving the hands.

CB