Why become a member? ×

Twist or stick? Advice needed

CokeyW

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1431247448' post='2769076']
..the perfect bass does not exist. It is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
[/quote]

+1 This. The basses you already have are likely to be way more than good enough for 99% of bass players. You say you don't want to be endlessly trading basses, so don't. Concentrate instead on your playing. Over the last few years I've been distracted by GAS and gear and ultimately I've learnt that most gear is really pretty good when it comes down to playing in the real world and any difference in 'tone' or 'quality' promoted by various manufacturers is basically down to marketing and is largely subjective, so don't get hung up over it.

Having said that I do like seeing what's available and occasionally flip basses and rigs, but you have to enjoy the process and enter into it with your eyes open, or it just becomes a tedious ordeal where you end up back at square one a few thousand quid lighter!

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431252278' post='2769145']

+1 This. The basses you already have are likely to be way more than good enough for 99% of bass players. You say you don't want to be endlessly trading basses, so don't. Concentrate instead on your playing. Over the last few years I've been distracted by GAS and gear and ultimately I've learnt that most gear is really pretty good when it comes down to playing in the real world and any difference in 'tone' or 'quality' promoted by various manufacturers is basically down to marketing and is largely subjective, so don't get hung up over it.

Having said that I do like seeing what's available and occasionally flip basses and rigs, but you have to enjoy the process and enter into it with your eyes open, or it just becomes a tedious ordeal where you end up back at square one a few thousand quid lighter!
[/quote]

Ain't that the truth!

Thanks to all the great tips and advice you've sent I've taken my Lakland to JayDee today for a full setup to see if that does the job. That's the first step. Of course trying new basses is a lot of fun and I'm going to be doing that once the Lakland is back and I can make a valid comparison with it being set up the best it can be.
I briefly tried a Fender Jazz Deluxe this afternoon just to see how it felt and it made me realise the Lakky is too 'stiff' even with light strings. I think I need a bass with a bit of give.