Why become a member? ×

Fret board wood

Left Foot

What's the difference between the woods? They all look different. Some are easier to work than others. Some produce irritant dust when you shape/sand them. But I'm guessing that's not what you were getting at.

Is it important to the sound? No, in my opinion it's not important, and no conjecture posted here in the nearly 8 years I've been here have convinced me otherwise.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1429785851' post='2754882']Is it important to the sound? No, in my opinion it's not important, and no conjecture posted here in the nearly 8 years I've been here have convinced me otherwise.
[/quote]

Cool, you're right I should probably hit the search button. Aren't some woods heavier and doesn't that help with sound and vibration though?

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1429786007' post='2754886']
Cool, you're right I should probably hit the search button. Aren't some woods heavier and doesn't that help with sound and vibration though?
[/quote]

I didn't mean to imply that you should search. I was merely illustrating how futile all the discussion has been for me. It certainly wasn't meant as a "let me google that for you" type thing, apologies if I came across as such.

Here's the most recent discussion: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/260184-with-apologies-tone-from-maple-board-versus-tone-from-rosewood-board/

The standard arguments on both sides are in there.

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Is the fret board the only time a tone wood is important to the sound?" - no, there's another thread on the tonewood of the body somewhere but that also makes a difference.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Personally I couldn't tell you which wood made which sound but it seems clear to me that the woods do do something.[/font][/color]

As an avid Stingray owner I've got a number of these instruments. They tend to be a bit more dynamic than your average passive P or J bass which may be the reason I say the following.

The ash bodied maple boarded Stingray can be a particularly bright sounding beast - almost shrill if pushed. That's not to say it can't produce warm and fat bass sound a la Bernard Edwards/Louis Johnson. However move to a rosewood boarded one and you will hear and feel a subtle difference. Change the body wood (I have a mahogany bodied Sabre and an alder (I think) Stingray) and again they sound different. The mahogany bass has a particularly warm Low mid range sound.

So yes in my opinion the woods used can make an appreciable difference which you'll only really become aware of if you use the different ones over a period of time.

In blindfolded listener tests I don't think anyone can tell what bass is what and that has been proven on occasion, including in a game show on TV where the expert got every one wrong....but that is something quite different. I'm sure as a player I can tell the difference be it resonance, sustain and to an extent tone. I think weight makes a difference as well.

The reason I say you need time to appreciate the nuances - when I bought my SR5 I couldn't really feel much difference between the series and parallel switch settings - I've had it well over ten years now and the difference is like chalk and cheese to me!!

Edited by drTStingray