Why become a member? ×

Woohoo gots me one of these! :-p Now with sound samples!!

1976fenderhead

Got it at Music Ground (Denmark St, London). They only had 2 units. They also had the Bass Big Muff which I didn't like at all, sounded similar to the Little Big Muff, worse than the Russian and the Dry and Bass Boost modes seemed pretty useless to me... Certainly wouldn't replace my Zoom Ultra Fuzz!!!! They didn't have any other of the new models...

Will definitely post some sound samples.... ermmm... how do I do it after I have the mp3, do I upload them to some host site or something? Any suggestions?

It does apparently sound the same as the larger version, but it's true bypass. And it feels a lot sturdier. It also runs on 9v, although you can't put it in a daisy chain and it hums if I use a Godlyke Powerall instead of the power adapter that comes with it... Go figure... How hard is it for EHX to make pedals that work in a daisy chain???

I haven't combined it with other pedals yet so haven't decided on a place in the signal chain, but what would you say would be the conventional position in a chain like this:

comp > wah > fuzz > chorus > flanger

My bet is first in chain so I can keep the dynamic to trigger only the notes I hit harder (before comp), and so I have a clean signal running into it (before fuzz) but let me know your opinions... Curious as to how it will sound before and after the wah :-) although guessing it will get a bit confused tracking notes after the wah...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='BassManKev' post='267133' date='Aug 21 2008, 03:27 PM']however you like really, but do not have a compressor before a wah, completly limits the wah effect badly[/quote]

...so says (most of) the theory. And I had it like that for some time, after lots of testing. However after another period of extensive testing I decided I prefer the compressor first... which doesn't mean I won't change my mind later... again!

*just an edit to add that the wah effect sounds duller to me if I put the compressor after it...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='267141' date='Aug 21 2008, 03:36 PM']*just an edit to add that the wah effect sounds duller to me if I put the compressor after it...[/quote]

Compression has the (sometimes) unwanted effect of reducing highs. Some compressors compensate for it, others don't!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='270150' date='Aug 26 2008, 12:24 PM']Compression has the (sometimes) unwanted effect of reducing highs. Some compressors compensate for it, others don't![/quote]

Really? Interesting... Also, the 105q has a volume knob, and I like to have it so it's a tiny bit louder than normal sound... Compressor after it kind of ruins that.

I've just done a lot more testing following this discussion and stuck to it. Compressor before wah still works best for me!

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='267523' date='Aug 22 2008, 01:09 AM']Here are some soundclips!

Fender Jazz Deluxe MIA with slight emphasis on neck pick-up, everything else flat + amp&cab simulation and compressor from Line 6 Gearbox (my standard clean sound).[/quote]

Sounds nice. How clean is the tracking? Will it cope with chords or is it strictly monophonic?

Cheers
Alun

Tracking is nearly perfect. Some parts of the effect track with chords and some don't, can't remember which but it's detailed in the manual...
I just notice if I start playing a lot of chords or crazy dissonant sounds it tends to cut the notes sharply to silence... I think it doesn't know exactly what to do when weirder sounds start decaying and just cuts them... Only noticeable with loooong notes.

The sliders feel very balanced and sturdy.