Why become a member? ×

Naive question - connecting 2 amps?

Paul S

I feel silly even asking this, as I feel it is so straightforward that I should already know the answer.

But I don't so bear with me.

I have recently acquired an old Eden traveller WT300 amp. This has a valve preamp and I really like the tone. But, into 8 ohms, it isn't loud enough. And I am about to rationalise my cabs and use a single BF Super Compact.

Is it possible, therefore, to connect the Eden head to another amp (power amp?) to beef it up?

Or doesn't it work like that? :blush: :unsure:

I said it was a daft question. :)

from the manual - Headphone Jack as Line Driver – On some occasions (such as high-volume or outdoor situations) it may be desirable to use the WT-300 along with an additional power amplifier and added cabinets. A standard shielded instrument cable may be used to connect from the headphone jack of the WT-300 to an unbalanced input of a standard power amplifier. This will provided a signal that is post EQ and master volume controls, allowing the entire system to be controlled from the WT-300.

Thanks for that - it is starting to look promising. Next question, exactly what types of power amp are going to be suitable? This is all completely unknown territory for me!

For example, a quick search of the classifieds on here throw this up [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/259127-for-sale-hollywood-impact-600-power-amp/page__hl__power+amp__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/259127-for-sale-hollywood-impact-600-power-amp/page__hl__power+amp__fromsearch__1[/url] Is this the type of thing I should be considering?

No, the Eden doc actually states that it can be run with only headphones, for instance. In general, SS amps don't need a load, unlike amps with valves and o/p transformers.
As for the linked power amp, and not wishing to 'talk down' the amp in question, the specs aren't really suited to your needs. Your amp can deliver 300w into 4 ohms; the power amp delivers 2 x 275w, and as the load isn't stated, I'd assume they mean into 4 ohms (most flattering case...). You can't use both sides into 1 cab, so, in effect, it supplies less power than your Eden..!
Two possibilities, really. If you really want to get the most from your Eden, I'd suggest using either 1 x 4 ohm cab, or having 2 identical 8 ohm cabs, and use 1 or 2 depending on venue.
The second option is a power amp, as you requested, but it would have to be a decent one to be worthwhile, and deliver 500-600w into 8 ohms. That could easily take you into Crown territory, so we're talking cost, weight and 'frigging around'. Is that really better than a 2nd cab..? Hmm...

Looks like it might end up being a bit of a faff, really. I'll try it with both cabs whilst I still have them, just to see if i think it is worth it.

If I decide I am dead set on tube preamp maybe I'll move this on and get a more powerful amp to keep my 'one amp, one cab' aim going.

A brief update. I decided to try a little experiment just now with a Harley Benton 'Prometheon clone' amp I have as a back up.

Bass into the input of the Eden then, via the phones out, into the HB which had a BF Midget plumbed in. It seemed to do the job, controls on both units worked, seemed to be a sweet spot using the controls on the Eden about half way then the master volume on the HB to control the overall volume level. Mute on HB plus other bits such as colour and various other filters also worked although the tubey sound was getting increasingly lost with each layer of fiddling about. Which I guess was only to be expected.

Is it worth it? Possibly not. :) Just an extra bit of kit to lug about and, if I am honest, the tube sound of the Eden isn't vastly different from the TC Electronic head I use. Maybe a bit more 'honest' but as soon as everyone else in the band kicks in I doubt anyone would hear the difference.

I am sure it will do someone else a turn though, so it will be appearing in the classified very soon. :)