Why become a member? ×

Not Very Interesting String Nut Jobbie

BassMunkee

So I get my new Rotosound 40/100 with the nice red cottony bits on and I take my old strings off and put my new strings on...
G: check
D: check
A: oops - doesn't fit in my nut, the old strings were the same gauge, so anyway I try some brute force. That's better.
E: check
Tuning up: check
Bit of a play: oo-er that's a bit funky, and not in a James-Brown-Sexy-Crotch way

So me nut's come off, pulled off by the A string d'oh.
So anyway a bit of filing later and some super glue and we're good to go, strange though coz when I changed the strings 3 years ago or so, they fitted fine, still there we go.
Thought I would share that.

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='266061' date='Aug 20 2008, 08:28 AM']So I get my new Rotosound 40/100 with the nice red cottony bits on and I take my old strings off and put my new strings on...
G: check
D: check
A: oops - doesn't fit in my nut, the old strings were the same gauge, so anyway I try some brute force. That's better.
E: check
Tuning up: check
Bit of a play: oo-er that's a bit funky, and not in a James-Brown-Sexy-Crotch way

So me nut's come off, pulled off by the A string d'oh.
So anyway a bit of filing later and some super glue and we're good to go, strange though coz when I changed the strings 3 years ago or so, they fitted fine, still there we go.
Thought I would share that.[/quote]

r
a
n
d
o
m

:)

Having to force the string into the nut would cause tuning problems later IMO. Athough the string should fit snuggly in the slot it should slide easily through the nut.

On a similar vein, I thought I'd change to .110"-.050" gauge strings so that when tuned down a semitone from A=440Hz I would have a string tension similar to my normal set .105"-.045" that I use in standard tuning. All was going well until I tuned the thing up when the outer section of the nut beneath the E string snapped off and flew across the room. Closer examination revealed that the A string was also sitting high off the seat of the nut slot thus:-

Having used a micrometer to measure sets of strings before, I can safely say that nominal sizes of bass guitar strings are just that and string diameter can vary minutely from manufacturer to manufacturer (or even from one batch to another). It goes to show that even a difference as small as .005" (about a eighth of a millimeter) can sometimes require modification of the nut slot

Edited by bassman2790

Fair enough, i generally leave mine for about a year before changing anyway, it gets expensive otherwise!
Also upon closer inspection, my G string (oh god) isn't quite sitting in the nut properly, might borrow my sister's nail file haha. It's been like that since i changed the strings about 4 months ago though so it's not really a problem.