Why become a member? ×

Tubular Bass

spectoremg

It still holds up really well. Branson's Virgin empire was pretty much built on that one record. It got loads of airplay because the piano intro was used on the soundtrack for [i]The Exorcist[/i] which was released the same year (1973) when Oldfield was 19.

At a time when there was a lot of well cheesy pop in the charts it was a sign of independent intellectualism, good musical taste and ultimate progressive cool to be seen with a copy of that album under your arm. :)

Edited by discreet
  • Like 3

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428243335' post='2739496']
At a time when there was a lot of well cheesy pop in the charts it was a sign of independent intellectualism, good musical taste and ultimate progressive cool to be seen with a copy of that album under your arm. :)
[/quote]

There speaks a man of my generation :)

• Like 1

I watched a film about the making of it.

It was performed live at the Royal Festival hall, Oldfield states that he was so scared beforehand, that during the journey there he asked Branson to stop the car so he could get out, he felt that it was just too complex to perform live. Branson was driving a Bentley (I think), he offered the car to Oldfield as a bribe if he'd carry on and perform.

:)

The first four minutes are my very favouritest thing to play ever. If I fancy beasting my fingers I have a crack at the last 7 mins of side 1. Makes the back of my left hand BURN! (when I make it right through, that is)

Though the original has a couple of bits of wafty tape and some 'tuning indescretions' I still feel it has a life and energy that the re-record just doesn't muster. IMO, YMMV, etc...

A phenomenal bit of music anyroadup.

• 5 years later...
On 05/04/2015 at 15:10, spectoremg said:

Had a listen to Tubular Bells today for the first time in ages. There's some great bass parts and great sounding bass on it. I reckon that Oldfield lad'll be alright.

Just love the lines he plays. Anyone know how he got his sound? Did he just go straight into the board?