Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Recycling strings? Or giving them away for free

project_c

I'm sure this has come up before but does anyone know if old strings can be recycled anywhere? (in London, if possible). I have to move house and I have a giant binbag full of old strings which I don't want to lug around any more. I don't want money for them, I just feel bad throwing them out, so I'd like to at least recycle them if possible.

Alternatively if by any chance anyone here on BC wants them, they're yours if you're willing to come and get them from NW8 sometime over the next 10 days. Lots of old DR's, Roto's, some Elixirs, Dean Markley Blue Steels etc, all for 4 string basses, in their original boxes.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1426968502' post='2724308']
Anyone know if this is still going on? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210389-we-need-strings-charity/"]http://basschat.co.u...trings-charity/[/url]
[/quote]

I think they ended up inundated with strings and stopped taking them, I had a bunch ready to send when they stopped taking them, it may have changed again but I haven't heard anything in a while

thanks for the replies, I guess if there's nowhere better for them to go i'll have to scrap them. they're not rusty, in fact i'm sure most of them have plenty of life left in them. I used to like keeping my strings new and fresh but since i play jazz 99% of the time these days, i prefer dead strings so i never change strings any more.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1427052751' post='2725172']

I think they ended up inundated with strings and stopped taking them, I had a bunch ready to send when they stopped taking them, it may have changed again but I haven't heard anything in a while
[/quote]

I asked tayste2000 (who acted as their UK contact) a few weeks ago and he said exactly this.

To answer the OP, have you tried looking for a local council or charity-run youth music centre? Or a local school's music department, maybe?

Edited by joeystrange