Why become a member? ×

Advice re Post to France.

BILL POSTERS

Due to a complete balls up by the solicitors handling the conveyancing for the sale of my house, I need to get a form to someone in France, get it signed and then back to my solicitor as quickly as is possible.

Obviously the post offices here and in France are too slow, so it need to be a courier I suppose.

Does anyone on here do this sort of thing regularly, and whats the cost and whats the best way ?

I didnt say cost was no object, I have to be reasonable. A day each way by courier would do fine. But not the 10 days or so that the solicitors claim is the best they can do.

Should have been done in December last year, wasnt till exchanging contracts was imminent almost a month ago that they realised it hadnt been sorted. I think sending it by next day courier at their expense is the least they can do.

I really just want to know if its even possible to do it on a next day delivery basis before I start making demands.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1426090979' post='2714278']
Due to a complete balls up by the solicitors handling the conveyancing for the sale of my house, I need to get a form to someone in France, get it signed and then back to my solicitor as quickly as is possible.

Obviously the post offices here and in France are too slow, so it need to be a courier I suppose.

Does anyone on here do this sort of thing regularly, and whats the cost and whats the best way ?
[/quote]

Is it not possible to scan the document, mail it to them, get them to sign it, scan again and resend it electronically?

Is the house being sold here, or in the UK? Not sure which way round this is all happening and can't see why they are asking for 10 days in the middle of it all.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1426102048' post='2714460']
Is it not possible to scan the document, mail it to them, get them to sign it, scan again and resend it electronically?

Is the house being sold here, or in the UK? Not sure which way round this is all happening and can't see why they are asking for 10 days in the middle of it all.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. But apparently not. The land is jointly owned by two people, one in the UK and one in France. I'm led to believe that all parties have to sign the same document in front of witnesses. We have signed it, he one in the UK has just signed it, now it has to go to the other one and then get back here to their solicitors in Brum, and then my solicitor in Wales. Then will have to be approved by the buyers solicitor I expect.

All this should have been done months ago, but as we are buying the freehold, to sell with the house, the YTS kid, or whoever my solicitor delegates this sort of job to, missed it.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1426102958' post='2714478']
My thoughts exactly. But apparently not. The land is jointly owned by two people, one in the UK and one in France. I'm led to believe that all parties have to sign the same document in front of witnesses. We have signed it, he one in the UK has just signed it, now it has to go to the other one and then get back here to their solicitors in Brum, and then my solicitor in Wales. Then will have to be approved by the buyers solicitor I expect.

All this should have been done months ago, but as we are buying the freehold, to sell with the house, the YTS kid, or whoever my solicitor delegates this sort of job to, missed it.
[/quote]

A real long shot, but where in France is the other owner? Worth asking just in case they're near here.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1426119480' post='2714761']
Somewhere in the south. I appreciate the offers, but I dont see how. If I can get it sent by 24 hours Fedex it would reach him as quickly as it would reach you wouldnt it ?
[/quote]

Okay, just thought I'd ask. You never know. Best of luck with it anyway.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1426119480' post='2714761']
Somewhere in the south. I appreciate the offers, but I dont see how. If I can get it sent by 24 hours Fedex it would reach him as quickly as it would reach you wouldnt it ?
[/quote]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

So after lots of argy bargy with solicitors, it went DHL Express on Friday afternoon - Just caught them before they posted it first class.

Now, according to DHL tracking after spending the weekend in Brussels, the package left their Nantes facility at 5.30 this morning. But despite Nantes being the the destination, its apparently held up by a French air strike.

Good innit ?

[color=#000000][font=Verdana][size=3]Just gets better....[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana][size=3]DHL have said the package, collected Friday lunchtime, is not out for delivery today and won't be delivered until tomorrow.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana][size=3]Apparently it is in a sorting office in Rennes, but didn't arrive in time to make delivery today, even though it left Nantes at 05:25 am yesterday morning.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana][size=3]So much for DHL Express NEXT DAY Service.[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1426619916' post='2719973']
Let's hope that whoever has to sign the documents is waiting by the letterbox with a pen in their hand! :D
[/quote]

Aah well.

Despite being told otherwise by DHL, the papers were delivered by DHL at 12.30. The idea being that when we know they have arrived, someone would ring the recipient and ask what time they would be available for a courier to collect them.

Unfortunately the solicitor had enclosed a SAE, and didnt know the papers had been delivered. So they were signed and posted back by normal overland mail.

Now, as I understand it from yesterdays papers, theres a huge backlog of mail to and from the UK as a result of an air strike jn France. So who knows when they will get here now.