Why become a member? ×

Black Star Riders...

Conan

Homage to Philip Lynott and continuation of the dynasty, or sad Thin Lizzy rip-off tribute band?

I can't make my mind up... what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph5yXjv4H8c

Edited by Conan

Saw them last night (supporting Europe) and also when they first toured as BSR a couple of years ago. I think Scott Gorham was uneasy about the band going out as Thin Lizzy as the connection was growing thinner with each memebr change so it was probably right they changed the name even though they actually sound more like TL on the new album than the first one. Maybe I'm getting a bit past it but what spoiled it a bit last night for me was they had an 'in your face' all out rock sound for every song and it just lacked the subtelty that you get on the recorded versions of the songs. I think it all stemmed from the drummer, who's a powerful rock drummer but lacked light and shade. The version of Whisky in the Jar was closer to the Metallica version than any genuine TL version I've heard.

Edited by KevB

I love this band, both their CDs are great. Not caught them live yet but I will do at some point. I think they have a great deal of integrity, as KevB points out above, not wanting to record/play under the Lizzy name as the connection was getting thinner.

Saw them twice in Glasgow, hugely enjoyed it and got to have a very quick 2 minute chat with Scott Gorham. I asked him about the whole BSR/TS thing, and he said that it didn't feel right using the name, and that it was a way of paying homage without besmirching the name.

Incredibly nice guy, and made comment about my rock faces in the front row with my friend for both shows haha!

The TL songs felt like the most authentic covers ever, but still like covers non the less, if that makes sense. Great band and show though, I will say the new album does sound like Jailbreak...

On another note, The Amorettes are an awesome Scots band and Europe were F*****g awesome!

A guy I know went to see them in Glasgow I think and was mightily impressed, and he's a good session guitarist, so they must have been good. Europe however, he described as 'embarrasing', and he left after about 6 songs. I wasn't there, so I clearly can only pass on the feedback, but I'll have to check out the BSR albums now I think.

Enjoyed the video enough to checkout some more of their stuff. I had heard of them but had no idea about the Lizzy connection until I heard it here.

Plus, cowboy song and boys are back in town back to back as on live and dangerous makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, Awesome!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1426087428' post='2714216'] Maybe I'm getting a bit past it but what spoiled it a bit last night for me was they had an 'in your face' all out rock sound for every song and it just lacked the subtelty that you get on the recorded versions of the songs.
[/quote]

I know what you mean. To be fair though, not all that different to the Thunder and Lightning album, which also could have been recorded by Metallica ;)

I think my problem with them is not the music (which sounds great and pretty authentic) but the singer. Ricky Warwick may be Irish, but his voice is nothing like Lynott's. When he tries to sound more like Phil I find it a bit toe-curling. But maybe that's his given remit? After all, Phil was a complete one-off. The quest to find someone who looks like him, sings like him and plays bass like him is a total waste of time - but without that person at the front of the band, the whole Lizzy thing just doesn't quite work for me... :(

Anyway, I'm off to listen to Bad Reputation! B)

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1426089505' post='2714251']
Enjoyed the video enough to checkout some more of their stuff. I had heard of them but had no idea about the Lizzy connection until I heard it here. Awesome!
[/quote]

My work here is done! :)