Why become a member? ×

Bass mix in practice and live.

big rob

Hi All,
Update, well we spent the most useful 5 mins in the last 8 years last night. Drums played and i got a nice volume over the drums, then we added the guitarists and cut there bass controls and there middle down a bit and then turned them up so they and everyone else could here them. Then had to add a little volume to the bass and turned the treble and the mids up on the stingray just a touch.
This resulted in one of the most enjoyable band practices we have ever had, last week my RH450 was on 4.5 with a rs212 and rs210, this week 2.5 and we could all hear everything and all were happy.

Moral of the story, turn it down, respect each others spectrum and don't start a frequency or volume war.

Thanks all for the advice on the subject and obviously a common issue for us low end heros.

Cheers
Rob

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1425563265' post='2708630']
singles?
Sorry, I'm a little lost now :blush:
[/quote]
[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1425577982' post='2708794']
Me too! :(
[/quote]

I'm assuming he means single coil pickups? As in rather than humbuckers? Generally regarded as having a "thinner" tone but cutting through better in a mix (I believe) :)

Good news... and that's exactly how to do it.

Though I have found what also works is buy a great big amp and turn the bass right up. Guitarists with lots of bass in their sound soon get the picture. B)

What I still don't get is why I get told by other band members I'm being too loud. I play as loud as I need to be able to hear what I'm playing. If I'm too loud it's not me that should be turning down first as far as I'm concerned. Even after that's taken on board, (and after years of it) it's looked at as me being awkward rather than trying to apply a bit of science. It aint bass that's makes peoples ears tired.

Of course, the alternative is to treat yourself to an old skool Trace SMX, select preset 2 and cut through the mix like nothing else. My 3 band 'Ray through these amps blows anything else out of the water 😜

Edited by Deedee

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1426205232' post='2715775']
Of course, the alternative is to treat yourself to an old skool Trace SMX, select preset 2 and cut through the mix like nothing else. My 3 band 'Ray through these amps blows anything else out of the water
[/quote]

I avoid playing in swimming pools, to start with...

Probably lots has been said but my 2 pence worth.

Turn the low/bass down on the guitar amps and the PA. Absolutely no need for them to be boosting it especially if the cabs are large 4x12 things.

still with my setup I have a lot of high mids and I boost the bass a tad to help the small can fill the room a little.
The PA I'll usually cut to 0 anything lower than 100hz, no neEd to push it to its limits by having loads of bass and wondering why you can't hear any definition.

Also I reangle the cabs so the bloody guitar is facing at the player so they can hear how loud and cutting it is. Usually the highs disperse well enough for you to hear it mixed with your bass cabs sound to still hear it.

If they say they can't hear it then they aren't listening properly.